Duncan Creek Elementary
Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year at Duncan Creek Elementary! As of August 27th, we are beginning the year with an enrollment of 1,247 students. Unfortunately, we are well under our projected enrollment of 1,404 students. As a result, we have had to collapse five classes to adjust staff to match our student enrollment. For the students impacted, our staff made sure our students had a smooth and positive transition to their new class. Thank you for your understanding and support during this difficult time. Working together, we will make sure each and every one of our students has a successful school year!
We appreciate all the help from our volunteers during the first two weeks of school. We held two successful Curriculum Nights to help parents have a better understanding of the students’ academic day, routines, and teacher expectations.
As a reminder, there is no student drop off in front of the school. All students arriving in cars between 8:20 and 8:45 should use the car rider line. No students should be walking in the front entrance unless arriving by bus. Our car rider line closes at 8:45am because our staff has to be in classrooms. If you arrive after this time, please drive to the front of the school, park and walk your student into the building. Students are expected to be in their classrooms by 8:50am.
We continue to hold high academic standards for every student at Duncan Creek Elementary. It is our goal to help each child reach his/her potential and to master the AKS at a deep level.
The 2019-2020 school year is going to be the best year ever! Thank you for your commitment to team with us to provide the best education for your child.
Follow us on Twitter
Duncan Creek ES is on Facebook!
Scan to opt-in for text updates from GCPS and DCES..or just text "YES" to 67587
Duncan Creek ES is on Facebook!
If you haven't set up your parent portal account, click here for information!
On the Web
Visit https://www.gcpsk12.org/duncancreekes for timely updates and information!
See important information from your child's teacher through your child's student portal. Class schedules, weekly newsletters, as well as educational links are all posted on this page! Many of our teachers even post daily homework! All you need is your child's username and password. Click for more information on eCLASS.
On the Web
Gwinnett County Public Schools’ (GCPS) 2019‐20 school calendar includes two make‐up days to address school days missed due to inclement weather. In addition to these days, GCPS also has the option of using Digital Learning Days to make up days missed due to inclement weather. Should a decision be made to cancel school, students, parents, and staff will be notified of the closing and if the day is a Digital Learning Day.
How will it work for students?
- · On the day that school has been canceled, teachers will post assignments on their eCLASS C&I course pages. High school assignments will be posted by 8 a.m. Elementary school assignments will be posted by 9 a.m. And, middle school assignments will be posted by 10 a.m.
- · Students will use the MyeCLASS student portal to log in to their eCLASS C&I course pages where they will access assignments, resources, and other materials. If the power is out, a student may access the teacher’s course page when power returns. If a student does not have access to a computer or device (tablet, smartphone, etc.), the student can get the assignment once school resumes.
- · Student work will be expected to be turned in to the teacher (either digitally or in person), using a school’s process for turning in work following an absence. For example, if your school allows students to turn in work two days after a missed day, the Digital Learning Day assignments would be due two days after classes resume.
- During the school year, teachers will share additional information with students about Digital Learning Days, including how they will support student learning during the day. (For example, some teachers may set up a discussion board while others may use online conference tools or be available via phone.)
Parents and students who need a refresher course on how to access eCLASS C&I course pages can go to the following web page for helpful resources and information:
> September 6th: September Treats (email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information & to bring in goodies)
> September 13th: PTA General Meeting
> September 20th: PTA Fall Event (6:30-8:30)
Meet Duncan Creek Elementary’s
Kindergarten, 2nd & 4th
1st, 3rd & 5th
We also have Savannah Barnett working as a counseling intern this year from Georgia State University. We are excited to have her as part of the counseling team!
We hope everyone is off to a great start! We have enjoyed visiting the classrooms and introducing ourselves to the students.
As School Counselors we:
· Meet individually with children, as needed
· Conduct small group counseling sessions
· Consult with parents about their child (feel free to call or e-mail for an appointment)
· Consult with teachers and staff
· Provide information on community resources for families
· Work to remove barriers that impact academic success
· Teach lessons in the classrooms on topics such as study skills, peer relations and personal safety
If we can assist you and your child in any way, please contact your child’s counselor. We are always happy to help!