The Church of the Holy Sepulchre
By Danny R
The Church has been damaged many times but 613 the Persian's attacked Jerusalem and in 614 Jerusalem fell and Damascus was captured the Holy Sepulcher was destroyed and then thousands of Christians were captured and tortured. Then in 630 Emperor Heraclius recaptured Jerusalem and restored the Church. In 746 the Church suffered damage from an earthquake. In 1009 Caliph Al-Hakim ordered that the Church be destroyed and the damage was extensive, but all was not gone, the Rotunda housing the tomb and crucifixion chamber were still standing. Later in 1049 the Byzantine rulers of Constantinople were given permission to rebuild the Church. In 1099 the First Crusaders took Jerusalem and then furthermore improved the Church to their liking. Later in 1555 the Franciscan Friars renovated the Church again due to negligence. The Franciscans also built an Aedicule or which is a small shrine and an ante-chamber which is a small room that leads to another which is in this case it lead to the tomb of Jesus Christ. The Church had another fire in 1808 which caused the Rotunda to collapse and since that was directly above the Aedicule and so that was damaged as well. They were both repaired in 1809/1810. The only part of the Aedicule that was damaged was the outside but the inside was unharmed and so when tourists go inside the Aedicule they see interior decorations from 1555. The current dome dates back to 1870, but it was restored in 1994 to 1997.