Upcoming Events and Activities
Mar 9 (6:00 pm - 8:00 pm) - Student Lead Conferences at RHS
Mar 11 (6:00 pm - 7:00 pm) - Parent Advisory Meeting at RHS
Mar 13 (10:00 pm - 12:00 am) - 14th Annual Volleyball Lock-In
Mar 18 (7:00 pm - 9:30 pm) - RHS Spring Concert
Mar 19 (7:00 pm - 9:30 pm) - RHS Spring Concert Snow Date
Mar 25 (7:00 am - 2:00 pm) - SAT
Mar 26 (6:00 pm - 8:00 pm) - International Night at RHS
Mar 31 (7:00 am - 7:30 am) - Coffee and Conversations with RHS Staff
Upcoming Field Trips
Mar 20 (7:30 am - 5:00 pm) - Field Trip to True Colors
Upcoming Holidays and Breaks
Upcoming Community Events
- Park West Community Room - 24 Terrace Drive, Vernon, CT 06066
Mar 26 (10:00 am - 11:00 am) - FSCP Laugh and Learn
- Park West Community Room - 24 Terrace Drive, Vernon, CT 06066
A Message From the Guidance Department
Good Afternoon Families and Students,
As we are just over a month into the second semester, and with Progress Reports being distributed to students next week, I just wanted to send a few quick notes:
1. Please be sure to check ASPEN (https://ct-vernon.myfollett.com/aspen/logon.do) for updates on current class performance.
- Teachers can be contacted directly with any questions or concerns you might have.
- REMINDER: Progress Reports will be distributed to students on Thursday 3/5/20.
2. Extra help is available in the following ways:
- Directly from a classroom teacher before school, or after school.
- A late bus leaves RHS Monday/Tuesday/Thursday at 3:25 pm and will drop off at the elementary school closest to your home.
- National Honor Society Students are also available in the RHS Library after school on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- During Rock Block.
- Depending on the period, there are a number of teachers from various content areas available for extra support.
3. Grades 9-11
- I am in the midst of course selection meetings with students for the 2020-2021 school year. Course registration will take place this week and next week. Students should sign up in School Counseling to meet with me.
- Course requests can be viewed in ASPEN. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me as soon as possible.
- Please note that schedules will not be finalized until later in the year.
4. Grade 11
- SAVE THE DATE: Thursday, 2/27/20, RHS College Planning Event. Starts at 7:00 pm in the RHS Auditorium, and will end around 8:15 pm.
- In the month of March, schedule time to meet with me to discuss/create a game plan for life after RHS. Parents are encouraged to attend this meeting. If you would like to attend, please reply to this email so we can set up date and time.
- SAT School Day: March 25. All juniors will test, no registration is required.
5. Grade 12
- If you have yet to apply or finalize your post-RHS plans, please check in with me as soon as possible.
- The state of Connecticut has announced a plan to roll out free community college starting Fall 2020. For additional information click on the following: http://www.ct.edu/pact
Looking Forward to March
Student Led Conferences
We are excited to be introducing Student Led Conferences at RHS on March 9, 2020 from 5:30-8:00 PM.
Student-led conferences in high school focus on teaching students to self advocate, communicate and take complete responsibility for both their social and academic goals. We believe these are critical 21st Century Skills they will need for college and/or the workplace.
At RHS students will be proactively planning these conferences during their Rock Block period. They will work collaboratively with their Rock Block Advisor to complete a self reflection and develop an action plan. This is an opportunity for your child to facilitate a conversation and share their progress, goals and reflections with you.
Teachers will be reaching out very soon to set up a time to meet with you and your student. We hope you find this time informative and useful. We look forward to seeing you on March 9th.
Cornerstone Foundation Prom Boutique
We are asking for donations of gently used prom gowns, bridal party gowns, long or 3/4 length evening dresses, tuxes, evening shoes, evening purses, shawls, jewelry, make-up and miscellaneous accessories for our "Prom Boutique".
The Cornerstone Clothing Bank Etc. is seeking to help girls and guys who would not otherwise be able to afford the costs of their high school junior and/or senior prom or reception.
Everything will be available to the gurls at no charge!
Our clothing bank donation hours are Monday through Wednesday, 10:30 am - 2:00 pm, and Thursday 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm. We have three donation drop boxes as well, outside our door for your continence. Please drop off donations at 3 Prospect Street, Rockville, CT (down the driveway, red door on the right).
Take the Plunge
When: Saturday, March 21, 2020
Where: Patriot's Park on Coventry Lake
Registration at 9:00 am, plunge at 11:00 am
The money raised benefits over 13,000 athletes and Unified Sports partners state-wide who participate in year-round sports training and athletic competitions for children and adults with intellectual disabilities and their peers without disabilities. So jump into the chilly water of Coventry Lake for a great cause!
Saturday, February 22nd was the Connecticut State Championship at Windsor High School. RHS's 2 teams fought bravely, but did not make it to Nationals (only 2 teams move on to Detroit).
The Dynotec team 15457 members (Rachel Blanchard, Andrew Neimczyk, Curtis Roggi and Dylan Keegan) placed 15 out of 24 teams, they had awful partners on Saturday while their robot continuously scored points.
The Cerberus team 11877 (Erin Ellefson, Hunter McNulty, Ben Ellefson, and Dylan McClure) placed 10th. Cerberus was in fifth place until the last round when our partner team (Green Farms Academy) accidentally rammed our robot during the automated phase of the competition, knocked it out of a parked scoring position and knocked our phone off the robot so that we could not continue for fear of penalties. Just bad luck.
We are very proud of the work they did as teams, they learned an immense amount of engineering, logistics and computer programming in the process!
February in Review
Tabletop RPG Club
Co-owner Arthur Rodriguez of Imperial Gaming and Collectibles in Southington, CT came to RHS as a guest speaker for our Tabletop RPG Club. Arthur is a competitive YuGiOh! card game player that brought a wealth of experience to help students improve their gaming. Bringing expertise on deck building and competitive game play, students were able to learn how to upgrade their card decks. Students also had the chance to try out and play against competitive decks! The Tabletop RPG club wants to send a big thanks to Imperial Gaming and Collectibles for coming to visit and helping us to advance our gaming!
Food Preparation at Academic Extravaganza
Students in Chef Bernabe's Food Preparation course prepared numerous appetizers during our Academic Extravaganza held on February 6th. Prior to the event, the students tested out the appetizers and received feedback from very willing taste testers! Though a bit of a rocky start, the gentlemen pulled off a very successful evening. Parents, students and teachers enjoyed the tastes of Spinach Artichoke and Feta Purses, Caprese Tartlets, Mac n' Cheese Bites and the crowd favorite, Bacon and Onion Tarts.
Students that participated: Alex Deane, Shawn Foley, Jake Haddad, River Hutchison, Jackson Kermode, Steven Kozak, Chris Mierez
Writer Lisa Taylor Comes to RHS
Micah Heumann Comes to RHS
New Englands Young Writers' Conference at Bread Loaf
Bread Loaf has counted among its faculty members numerous distinguished teachers and scholars. But no one has been identified with Bread Loaf more than Robert Frost, who first came to the school in 1921 and returned nearly every summer for 42 years.
Winter Sports Updates
Girls basketball- Qualified for the state tournament. Will play @ Berlin on 3/2.
Boys basketball- Qualified for the league and state tournament. Will play Classical on 2/26 at 7 pm. State tournament game TBA.
Indoor track- Alyssa Sirianni qualified for the state open and finished 13th in the 55 m hurdles.
Boys swim- Colton Labrecque qualified for the state in 5 different events.
Gymnastics- Jordan Kermode and Makayla Theriaque both will compete in states.
Wrestling- Competed in the class M meet on February 20-21.
Cheerleading- Will compete in the state meet on March 7th.
For more sports information view the RHS Atheltic Department Newsletter:
This newsletter was created by the students at the RHS Library Media Center Club