Hope Valley School News
May 1, 2015
Calendar of Events
5/8 – Progress Reports Distributed (This has been extended a week)
5/9 - Reading Across RI from 2-4PM at the RI State House. Meet author Kate DiCamillo and get a free signed copy of Flora & Ulysses. Visit http://ribook.org/krari/ for more information.
5/12-5/22 – Gr 3 & 4 PARCC End of Year Assessment
5/18 – PTO Meeting, 6:30
5/21 – Early Release Day (PM Pre-school 8:45-1:45, No AM Pre-school)
5/25 – NO SCHOOL-Memorial Day
5/28 – Spring Pictures (More information to follow)
6/4 - Poetry Slam
6/8 - PTO Dinner, Richmond Country Club
6/10 – Garden Orientation Meeting, 6 pm
6/12 – PK Orientation (PKC, PKM 11:30-12:00; PKL 12:00-12:30)
6/19 – Gr 4 Send Off (tentative)
6/19 – PTO End-of-Year Celebration (evening event, time to be announced)
6/22 – Report Cards Issued
6/22 – SCHOOL DISMISSED!
What is PARCC?
School Information for Parents
On Thursday, Ms. Koukas and Miss Rondeau's Kindergarten class had a "Down on the Farm" show. It was a culminating activity for the animal research project. It was absolutely adorable. See pictures below from the show.
iHola! Students in all classes recently completed a Spanish assignment to assess how much of the language they have learned this year. If you haven't already, you should be getting that paper sent home with your child soon. The students have learned so much! Kindergarten was assessed on greetings, colors, and numbers. Grades 2 and 4 also had weather, days, and dates on theirs. Grade 3 did a listening activity where they had to write down what an animal in a video said about himself. They all have improved so much from the beginning of the year and are well on their way to being able to really speak the language! I am very proud of them!
Attention Hopkinton Residents
If you are a Hopkinton resident, the Town of Hopkinton would appreciate your participation in a town-wide survey that will serve to guide the Planning Board and Town Council in updating the Hopkinton Comprehensive Plan. The survey can be found on the home page of the Town of Hopkinton website – www.hopkintonri.org.
Teacher Assistant Class
Education Exchange is offering a RIDE Approved Teacher Assistant Training Class beginning Friday, May 1, 2015. The class is scheduled to run Fridays from 9:30 AM to 1:00 Pm from May 1 to June 19 at Tower Street Community Center in Westerly, RI. Please visit the Education Exchange website @ edexri.org for more details or call Kate to register @ 401-783-0293. If you have specific questions about the class, please call Jeannette Roolf-Rothwell @ 401-524-5770.
Kindergarten Show Pictures
ASKRI.ORG - Check it out!
Welcome to AskRI.org – the answer to your questions! AskRI.org is designed to be Rhode Island’s most complete site for finding out what you need. Students, jobseekers, librarians and educators, and the curious can all reach the information they need – with a librarian’s help, by exploring our services, or through carefully chosen pages of other helpful sites.
This is an amazing site to help students, parents, and teachers. It is a free service for all families in RI. There is a free tutoring link as well for all academic areas. You can create an account or not. Check it out.
Looking to find out more about the services we offer? Here’s a look at each database:
- AtoZ databases: For finding businesses and jobs, building mailing lists, marketing research and more.
- EBSCOhost: Online articles and books for researchers and students of any age.
- HeritageQuest: Archives of historical census records and books, perfect for genealogical searches.
- LearningExpress: Materials for advancing school, career, or life skills.
- Mango Languages: Free, extensive courses for learning a new language.
- Tutor.com Career Center: One-on-one guidance for building your career and finding a job
- Tutor.com Homework Help: Trained tutors to help you with your homework, one-on-one.
- World Book Online: Trusted online encyclopedias and learning tools.
· All classrooms are PEANUT FREE & TREE NUT FREE!
· Use parent pick-up note template. This can be found at www.chariho.k12.ri.us/hv.
· Bring ID when picking up your child(ren).
· Please park on Locustville Road, by the church, or near Langworthy Field.
About Hope Valley Elementary School...visit our webiste link below
The mission of the Hope Valley Elementary School is to work in partnership with our colleagues, students and families. We are committed to creating a learning environment where children are expected to achieve their full potential.