Catholic School Matters
October 29, 2017
Tomorrow marks the launch of the Church Documents podcast. Below is a video (!) explaining the series.
Podcast #1 is about the context of Vatican II. Fr. John O’Malley, the noted Church historian, joins me to discuss his book What Happened at Vatican II (which I blogged about here). Fr. Oliver Doyle, the popular Irish priest serving in Great Falls, also joins the podcast to discuss the changes in popular practice brought by Vatican II. The majority of American Catholics were born after Vatican II and we need to work to educate them about the meaning of the council.
This series of podcasts will serve as a virtual PLC. Here is the link to the webpage where we’ll put up links to the document (so you can read in advance), study and discussion questions, and additional resources. We’ll keep building this airplane as we fly toward the present day. The series is scheduled for every Monday for 13 weeks, concluding on January 22nd. Guests will include:
· Sr. John Mary Fleming, OP
· Dr. Tom Burnford
· John Galvan
· Sr. Mary Grace Walsh, ASCJ
· Dr. Kevin Baxter
· Fr. John Belmonte
· Bishop George Murry
· Kristin Melley
Subscribe to the podcast, order the collection of documents At the Heart of the Church so you can follow along, and carve out some time every week so you can grow in your understanding of the Church’s teaching.
Want to keep up with the conversations surrounding Catholic education? Set up your own Google Alert, subscribe to this newsletter by clicking "follow," subscribe to the Catholic Schools Daily, or subscribe to the Catholic School Matters podcast.
Dr. Tim Uhl
What I'm Up To
This week, I'll be continuing to work on the Church Documents podcast series. This week's episode focuses on the context and impact of Vatican II and features two great guests--Fr. John O'Malley, SJ, and Fr. Oliver Doyle. Fr. O'Malley wrote What Happened at Vatican II and is a noted scholar of Church history and councils. Montana's own Fr. Doyle grew up in Ireland and speaks to the changes brought by Vatican II.
Here's what I'm working on this week:
- Monday: Great Falls meetings
- Tuesday: Office (Helena); record podcast with Sr. Angie
- Wednesday: Visits to St. Charles (Pryor) and Pretty Eagle Catholic Academy (St. Xavier) & Billings meetings; Wed book blog Finding Your Posts by Seattle Prep President Kent Hickey.
- Thursday: travel day
- Friday: WCEA previsit at Notre Dame HS (Riverside, CA).
Miles this week: 861 driving miles; 2,270 air miles
Miles travelled in 2017-18: 10,723 road miles; 8,184 air miles
American Catholic News
Teaching & Learning
- NCEA Visions for Excellence Soul of Youth Sports Conference, Feb 21-23, 2018 (KC)
- Convention, April 3-5, 2018 Cincinnati
- Nominations for the spring awards are now open: Lead, Learn, Proclaim Awards; President's Awards; and Youth Virtues, Vision and Valor are now open. Click here for more information.
- Click here to register for webinars
- Oct 30: Dia de los Muertos: Infusing Catholic & Cultural Traditions Into Your Classroom
- Nov 1: Connecting Stories and Changing Conversation: Why Techers Should Be Using Social Media
What I'm Reading
- The Power of Moments (2017) by Chip & Dan Heath.
- Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership (2007) by Gary L. McIntosh & Samuel D. Rima (underway)
- You Don't Have Say You Love Me (2017) by Sherman Alexie.
- Queen Sugar (2014) by Natalie Baszile
- When Breath Becomes Air (2016) by Paul Kanalithi
Click this link for a full list of my professional reading along with links to Wed Book Blogs
Past Issues of Catholic School Matters
October 22, 2017 Momentum Special Issue
October 15, 2017 "Anthem Protests"
October 8, 2017 Classroom Managment Special Issue
October 1, 2017 "The Un-Themed Issue"
September 24, 2017 "Joy of the Gospel"
September 17, 2017 "ESSA"
September 10, 2017 "On Leadership"
August 27, 2017 "American Catholic News"
August 20, 2017 Back to School Issue