A Note From Ms. Massara
- The Fall Fair is tomorrow! Hope to see you there!
- Bike Rodeo is on Monday. A notice was sent home in your child's homework folder with some important reminders.
Halloween Party: will take place on Friday, 10/30. Students will go home for lunch and change into their costumes.
The student council will be collecting spare change until the end of the week. The funds raised will go toward feeding children and providing clean drinking water. Just 6¢ can provide water for 1 thirsty child and $2.00 can provide food for that child!
We will have our Unit 2 Math Test next Friday, 10/30. Next week we will focus on subtraction strategies and we'll review on Thursday. The test will focus on addition and subtraction, as well as some review skills:
- Extension facts
- Number stories
- In/Out Boxes
- Adding/subtracting 2 and 3 digit numbers
- Telling time to the nearest minute
- Place value
- Elapsed time
Let me know if you have any questions! Have a great weekend!
(click on individual images below that may appear fuzzy. It should put them into focus)
The past two weeks in Reader's Workshop we..
- read the story Destiny's Gift and learned how to draw conclusions about a character's traits based on their words and actions.
- learned how to correctly write dialogue using commas, quotation marks, and speaker tags
- identified and fixed run on sentences and fragments
- read Pop's Bridge and learned how to compare and contrast using a Venn Diagram
- learned the difference between common and proper nouns
Over the past two weeks in math we..
- practiced fact families with our fact triangles to review the inverse relationship between addition and subtraction
- worked on solving function machines problems to find a missing input, output, or rule
- learned that knowing our basic facts can help us solve problems with bigger numbers by exploring fact extensions
- practiced how to round numbers to the nearest ten or hundred with our rounding roller coaster in order to make ballpark estimates
- explored the partial sums method and traditional method of addition
- learned and practiced the steps to solve addition number stories
- practiced with Parts-and -Total diagrams to help us solve our addition number stories
- learned that when adding with three or more addends it helps to look for number combinations that make addition easier. For example: 33+ 22+ 8 +7= ? We would add 33 +7 then 22+8
We are now starting on a new piece to apply all of the skills we have learned. We will then decide which piece we will publish and celebrate!
We also put our great imaginations and creativity to work in creating Halloween stories. We will share our spooky stories with the class next week.
playing spelling games
Rehearsing our small moment stories before putting them on paper
Fun with function machines!
http://www.iboard.co.uk/iwb/Function-Machine-Add-and-Subtract-756 --click the link for your child to play with this interactive function machine we played with in class
Our final products!
First Lizzy Community Meeting of the year
Star Student, Evie!
Star Student, Natalia
10/24: Fall Fair, 11 AM- 3 PM
10/29: School Store, 1150 AM-1240 PM
10/30: Halloween Parade and Class Parties, 1:45 PM
11/2-11/6: School closed for all students, Teacher Professional Development Week