Gemini Middle School - December 2022
Dear Gemini Families,
We wish you all a wonderful Winter Break and a healthy New Year! Take time this holiday season to spend time with each other, play some family games, and reflect on the important values in your home. Encourage your children to share their world with you and be present during these conversations. Put away your phone, turn off the tv, and give them your undivided attention. This time creates such a positive impact on your child.
Lewis Roberts, Principal
Wendy Brutt, 6th-grade Assistant Principal
Erica Perelgut, 7th-grade Assistant Principal
Brian Gariti, 8th-grade Assistant Principal
Tim Mackin, Dean of Students
Illinois Science Assessment Score Reports Delayed
- In the spring of 2022, fifth grade students took the state-manded Illinois Science Assessment (ISA). While score reports were sent to the district office to send home with students this fall, we received the following message from the Illinois State Board of Education:
- There was an error on the ISA reports recently mailed to schools. The state, district, and school data on the report are incorrect. The data error has been corrected and the new score reports are scheduled to begin mailing to districts later this month.
- When the correct score reports arrive, we will disseminate those to the families of current sixth grade students.
Register Soon for After School Clubs
We are finalizing our list of after-school clubs that will be offered from January through May. Please check the Gemini Clubs page on the Gemini website for updates and registration information. We plan to offer an activity bus route for students that choose to participate, so be sure to sign up for this option during the registration process.
- December 5 - December 14: Winter Session Sign Up
- January 18 - March 20: Winter Session
- March 6 - March 14: Spring Session Sign Up
- April 3 - May 24: Spring Session
Students staying for after-school sporting events must report to the cafeteria after school. Any student that leaves the grounds and returns must be with an adult that is staying at the event. Students need to be picked up by 6:45 PM.
If your child is interested in playing sports, we encourage you to visit the Gemini Sports page to learn more about our program and participation requirements. As a reminder, all students must have a valid physical on file with the nurses prior to tryouts. Contact one of our nurses if you are unsure if your child has a current physical.
December Performing Arts Events
We have had many successful shows this Fall. Congratulations to the cast and crew of the Fall Play, the Gemini Orchestras, the Gemini Bands and the Gemini Choirs for their wonderful performances! We have one more performance before Winter Break - join us at the 7th-8th Grade Dance Concert on Thursday, December 15th, at 6 PM in the Gemini Auditorium. Students and families are encouraged to attend these events. Thank you for supporting our performers.
Parent Teacher Organization (PTO)
Support from Student Services
Grade Level Social Workers
6th Grade: Natalie Maas
7th Grade: Barrett Winston8th Grade: Laura Mell
Winter Coats and AccessoriesFall is here and winter is just around the corner. This means coats are coming out of storage for the season. If you need help getting a winter coat for your child, please call or email the social work team. We also have accessories like mittens, hats, etc. You can also reach out to us if you need help with access to food or other community resources. Our website has more information.
Notes from the Gemini Library
General Gemini Library Information
It’s been a busy couple of months at the library! From book checkouts to library scavenger hunts to book tastings, students have been engaged in a variety of activities. We would also like to thank you for your support at the book fair, which directly supports our library. Feel free to contact Kris Buican or Jill Wahlers if you have any questions.
Scholastic Book Order
If you would like to order books for your student or as a gift, check out our Scholastic class page, or search through Scholastic’s digital flyers. The code to order is Z3GW2. All orders submitted earn bonus points, which are used to purchase new books for the Gemini library and ELA classrooms.
Did you know that there is an Illinois Reading Council? Their goal is to promote reading for all Illinois citizens. They have compiled lists of quality books written by Illinois authors for all age levels, including middle school. Be sure to check out some of these great reads!
Maine East High School
Class of 2027 Welcome Night
- Tuesday, December 6th from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- A large group presentation will be followed by opportunities to tour the building to see and learn about course opportunities at Maine East.
- Families should bring their student’s birth certificate to be copied during this evening event.
- There will also be staff members present to speak with you about Academic Department Q&A about course offerings and planning, career & college planning, and student life - extracurriculars & athletics.
High School Registration for Current 8th Graders
District 207 reminds parents that the enrollment process for high school has begun. If your child will be attending Maine East, Maine South, Maine West, or Frost Academy in 9th grade, please know that District 207 requires families to complete the initial enrollment process by Jan. 1, 2023. Completion of enrollment is required to access the course selection meeting with your child’s high school counselor.
Parents should have already received an email from District 207 with this information. If you did not receive the email, please contact Maine East at 847-692-8528.
If your child will not attend District 207 schools, please contact District 207 at firstname.lastname@example.org so you can be removed from future communications from the high school district.
Niles Teen Center
9: Early Dismissal at 11:25 AM
13: Team Zeus Field Trip
13: PTO Meeting at 6:30 PM
14: Team Athena Field Trip
15: 7th Grade Field Trip
15: Futures Unlimited Field Trip
15: Dance Concert at 6 PM
16: Team Poseidon Field Trip
16: 8th Grade Orchestra Trip to MEHS
23-January 8: No School - Winter Break
9: Return to School
10: PTO Meeting at 6:30 PM
13: Early Dismissal at 11:25 AM
16: No School - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
17: End of Second Quarter
17-18: Winter MAP Testing
24: Report Cards Emailed