Pirate Cove Connection
PES Media Center News - April 2019
Dates to Remember
April 8 - SSYRA Jr. Voting
April 26 -Deadline SSYRA and SSYRA Jr. Rewards
April 30 – Battle of the Books
May 3 – Last Day for check-out
May 10 - Books Due to Media Center
May 10 – Last day for Media Classes
May 16 - SSYRA Jr. Ice Cream Party
May 17 - SSYRA Ice Cream Party
It's Going to be a Dynomite Book Fair April 16-26 2019
Spring Book Fair
April 16-26 in the PES Pirate Cove!
Purchase books to support our school and classroom libraries. Students shop with their class during their Media Resource time and other times added to the schedule starting April 16 with Resource Day F. Check with your child’s teacher if you would like to volunteer and/or shop with your child.
- Teacher Preview – Monday, April 15 from 3:00PM-4:00PM. Teachers can make wish baskets so parents can purchase books for classrooms and Teacher Appreciation Week.
We also have fun family events scheduled:
- Second Grade Family Night - Wednesday, April 17 5-6PM Before the Play
- Muffins for Moms – Thursday, April 18 grades 3rd-5th 7:15-7:45, grades K-2nd 7:45-8:15AM.
- Family Night and Night of the Arts - Wednesday, April 24 5:30PM-7:30PM.
- Donuts for Dads – Friday, April 26 grades 3rd-5th 7:15-7:45, grades K-2nd 7:45-8:15AM
Volunteers will receive a 20% discount on their purchases. You can sign-up at . https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f4fa4ab2ca7fd0-spring. Visit http://www.scholastic.com/bf/palenciaelementaryschool for online orders, eWallet sign-up, book flyer, and book fair apps. Online ordering starts April 7, 2019.
*We can no longer accept checks at the book fair. Cash, Charge and eWallet only.*
April is School Library Month
School Library Month is the American Association of School Librarians' celebration of school librarians and their programs. Every April school librarians are encouraged to host activities to help their school and local community celebrate the essential role that strong school library programs play in transforming learning. More about the history of School Library Month.
The 2019 theme is Everyone Belongs @ Your School Library and the 2019 spokesperson is Dav Pilkey.
National Library Week April 8-14 2018 - Libraries Lead
Celebrations during National Library Week include:
- Monday, April 8: State of America's Libraries Report released, including Top Ten Frequently Challenged Books of 2018.
- Tuesday, April 9: National Library Workers Day, a day for library staff, administrators, and Friends groups to recognize the valuable contributions made by all library workers. #nlwd19
- Wednesday, April 10: National Bookmobile Day, a day to recognize the contributions of our nation's bookmobiles and the dedicated professionals who make high-quality bookmobile outreach possible in their communities. #BookmobileDay2019
- Wednesday, April 10: Library Giving Day is a one-day fundraising event with the goal of encouraging people who depend on and enjoy public libraries to donate to their individual library system. #LibraryGivingDay
- Thursday, April 11: Take Action for Libraries Day, a day to speak up for libraries and share your library story. #MyLibraryMyStory
Last Day for Check-Out May 3, 2019
MackinVia Ebooks for Springtime and Bunnies
National Scribble Day was March 27
All Books Due to the Media Center May 10, 2019
What will we be learning in media this month?
1. Media Center Survey - what books and activities do you enjoy in the media center.
2. Book Fair Preview - new books, contests, e-wallet and more
- Pictures - Do they appeal to you and do they make the story better?
- Plot/Theme/Subject - Does the topic of the story make you think or teach a lesson? Do you and other children like the topic of the story?
- Characters - Can you relate to the characters? Are the characters funny or appealing in some way?
- Author/Illustrator - What is the Author's Purpose: to Persuade, Inform or Entertain? Do you like other books by that author?
Our Numbers for March 2019
Number of Books and Magazines Checked Out - 2,923
Number of E-books Viewed - 2,464
Number of Classes - 96
Number of Magazines Checked-out - 64
Most Check-outs by a Student - Evie E. 21 Books
Class with the Most Check-outs - Mrs. Simpson's Class 185 Books
Most Check-outs by a Teacher - Mrs. Hackney 20 Books
New Books and Magazines Added this Month -94
Number of Independent or Open Check-outs - 716
Meet Our SSYRA Battle Team
April 26 - SSYRA Deadline for Awards.
April 30 - Battle of the Books South at St. Johns Technical 10:00AM
SSYRA Voting - AND THE WINNERS ARE...
Palencia students voted for The Great Tree House War. Second place went to Lemons.
SSYRA Jr. 1-2
Palencia students voted for Coming Soon
For more information and a list of books, visit the PES Media Center website.
Dr. Seuss Fun!
Read 6 EBooks for Sweet Summer Success
Birthday Book Club
The Palencia Elementary School Media Center’s Birthday Book Club is a wonderful way to commemorate your child’s birthday. Your participation not only enriches the library collection but allows you and your child to be personally involved in its growth.
To take part in the Birthday Book Club donate one new undamaged hardback book. This book should be a book that your child enjoys and one that we don’t have in the media center already. You can choose a new book at the book store or a new book from the Book Fair. A quick check of our library catalog (Destiny) will tell you if we already have the book. If you would prefer, you may make a monetary donation of $15 and your child can choose from recently acquired books that are waiting to be put on the shelves. For more information, contact the media center.