Hillside 2019 Summer News Brief
Happy Summer Break!
The Hillside Community Garden is thriving; many thanks to all who volunteered to water. A picture of our garden is included below.
I have received some inquiries about school supply lists, and a link appears in this newsletter.
We are looking forward to the school year to come; meanwhile ENJOY YOUR SUMMER!
Mrs. Bailey, Principal
August 2019: Important Dates
August 14 - First Day of School for students (Kindergarten Group A starts)
August 16 - Kindergarten Group B starts
August 29 - Parent Information Meeting for Outdoor Education (6th grade only)
8:30 a.m. - First bell rings
8:40 a.m. - Tardy bell rings
3:30 p.m. - M, T, Th, and F dismissal/3:00 p.m. - Wednesday dismissal
EVERY WEDNESDAY is an early dismissal at 3:00 p.m.; please make appropriate transportation arrangements for your student
Sneak-a-Peek Night is Monday, August 12, from 6:00-7:00 p.m.
Returning Student Registration is Open
All returning students must have their information updated in PowerSchool so that the district has the correct contact information. The district sent information out last May so that families could complete this very important information update. If you have not done so, please update your information immediately in PowerSchool.
To get started, login to your parent PowerSchool account at ps.westside66.org. Then click on the Returning Student Registration button. Remember that registration must be completed for each returning Westside student in your home.
Once you're finished, your child will be registered for the 2019-2020 school year, and we will have up-to-date contact information for back-to-school communication this summer.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What if I forgot my PowerSchool account login information?
You can reset your password using the “Forgot Username or Password?” link on the login page (ps.westside66.org). Please be aware that the recovery email will be sent to the email address you used to create the account, which may not be your current email address.
If you need further assistance with your account, please email email@example.com or call 402-390-2100.
Introducing: Mrs. White-Hamilton, Hillside's New Secretary
More New Staff
2019-20 Meal Information
Breakfast - $1.50 (full price); $0.30 (reduced price)
Lunch - $2.40 (full price); $0.40 (reduced price)
Extra Main: $1.20
Water or Extra Milk*: $0.50
*Cost of lunch includes one milk. Water is always an extra charge.
Adult Meal Prices:
Breakfast - $2.35
Lunch - $3.65
Main lunch only - $1.70
Breakfast is served from 8:15-8:40 a.m. daily.
- In the office: you may put money on account for meals at Hillside's front office with cash or a check. If you are putting money on account for more than one student, you may pay with one check and let us know how you wish to have those funds divided and deposited. If you are dropping off cash or a check in the office, please use the money envelopes provided at the front desk, and be sure to mark all payments with your child's first and last name.
- Online: Westside's online school meal website is www.myschoolbucks.com. If you are setting up a new myschoolbucks account, you will need your student's ID number, which is available in the front office. For additional support or questions, please contact Michele Divoky at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 402-390-3382. You can also find support at email@example.com
Free/Reduced Price Meal Applications:
Applications for free/reduced meals must be completed each year, regardless of whether or not you have qualified in the past. Forms are available online now (and any time) at wcsapplyforfreelunch.heartlandapps.com. Printed applications are also available at Hillside in the front office. Let us know how we can help you!
Lunch Times at Hillside
1st grade: 11:45 a.m. - 12:10 p.m.
2nd grade: 11:55 a.m. - 12:20 p.m.
3rd grade: 12:05 p.m - 12:30 p.m.
4th grade: 12:15 p.m. - 12:40 p.m.
5th grade: 12:25 p.m. - 12:50 p.m.
6th grade: 12:35 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Please sign in if you are a guest at Hillside
Band and Strings Instrument Introduction for 5th Graders is Coming!
The Westside Elementary Instrumental Staff
Gail Carpenter-Johnson, Michael Freeman, Viktoria Matheson, and
If you will be taking your child out of school for all or part of the day, please come to the front office to sign your student out. Please be prepared to show identification. If you are bringing your child to school after the start of the day, please check him or her in at the front desk. Thank you.
Carpool Lane and Dismissal
- All students who are waiting for a ride will wait out front near an adult on duty in designated areas
- Students will enter vehicles from the sidewalk side only
- Please pull up in the carpool lane as far as possible (watch for on-duty staffers for more direction, if necessary)
- The playground is off-limits from 3:30-3:45 p.m. (3:00-3:15 p.m. on Wednesdays)--the duration of dismissal. We must be able to identify all children who are waiting for transportation
- 15 minutes after the end of the school day, carpool procedures outside come to an end; all students still waiting will be asked to head inside to the front office
- Hillside's secretary, Mrs. White-Hamilton, will note each student remaining after school and call the designated adult for pick-up to let you know the student is waiting for a ride
Student Supply Lists
Kindergarten families: please note that Kindergarten teachers are requesting that supplies be brought in Tuesday, August 20, when class lists for Kindergarten will be complete. Thank you!
Click here to see the 2019-20 School Supply Lists for Hillside