Palmyra Area Elementary Schools
Literacy News for Families
1st, 2nd, and 3rd Grade Families.....Please Join Us!
Northside: Wednesday, 10/17 6-7:15
Lingle: Tuesday, 10/23 6-7:15
Pine: Wednesday, 10/24 6-7:15
Forge: Thursday, 10/25 6-7:15
Jen Blystone, Reading Specialist at Pine Street Elementary School, shares things parents and families can do at home to help their students when writing.
As you write with your child at home, think about what great writers do. Help your child to use these fundamental strategies when he/she writes with you:
1. Great writers think about what they want to write.
2. Great writers write for meaning. Your writing must make sense.
3. Great writers make their story match their picture(s).
4. Great writers tell several things about their pictures.
5. Great writers say words slowly to write the sounds they hear.
6. Great writers spell word wall words correctly and use them to spell other words that they write.
7. Great writers leave a space between each word.
8. Great writers use a period(.), an exclamation point(!), or a question mark(?) at the end of each sentence.
9. Great writers use a capital letter at the beginning of each sentence.
10. Great writers use lower case letters when writing their words.
Additional literacy information for parents can be found at https://sites.google.com/a/teachers.pasd.us/palmyraliteracy/. This website can also be accessed from the district website (district-wide information – curriculum).
Summer Enrichment Update
Palmyra Area School District offered Kindergarten – 5th grade students the opportunity to participate in several different enrichment programs this summer. Research shows that students who read and write throughout the summer maintain their levels of reading that they worked so hard to achieve.
This summer 376 students participated! Students received entries into a drawing for incentives. The number of entries each student received was dependent on how much they completed or how many sessions they attended.
Palmyra Public Library - Makerspace
The Palmyra Public Library has a Makerspace for students in 1st-6th grades the third Tuesday of each month from 3:30-5:00 PM. Please contact the Public Library for more info!