Best Practices for ELLs
Based on 7 Steps to Building a Language Rich Classroom
I will demonstrate how to use QSSSA in my next meeting to build academic language.
I will speak using the following sentence stems:
- One way administrators should support teachers of ELLs...
Please rank the level/frequency of academic conversations occurring in your classrooms on a daily basis.
A. I rarely observe academic conversations.
B. I see pockets of implementation.
C. I often observe academic conversations.
D. Most of our teachers utilize them on a daily basis.
What is QSSSA?
- Q (Question): The teacher asks a question.
- S (Signal): The students give the teacher a response (determined by the teacher) when they are ready to answer.
- S (Stem): The teacher provides a sentence stem to frame structure language.
- S (Share): Students are asked to share their responses with one or more peers.
- A (Assess): The teacher assesses the quality of discussion by selecting a few students to share their answers with the whole class.
Q- How should administrators support teachers of ELLs?
S- One way administrators should support teachers of ELLs
- In addition,
S- Stand up and push in your chair
S- Roving Paragraph
A- Wheel Decide
Exit Ticket- Plan a QSSSA that you will use at your next faculty meeting. Write your QSSSA on a post it note and place it on the Exit Ticket Poster.
Click here for the responses from the QSSSA Exit Tickets.