VAMS Panther Press Newsletter
April 1, 2022
- April 4-22 - Student Council Diaper/Wipe Drive Buckner's Souls for Orphan Souls (more information below)
- Tuesday, April 5 - Librarian Appreciation Day - Show Ms. Filbeck some love!
- Thursday, April 7 - Progress Reports Go Home
- Friday, April 8 - Star Card Treat Day
- Friday, April 8 - 2022-2023 Student Council Application Due (application attached below)
- Tuesday, April 12 - 6th Grade Band Pride of Texas Festival at Pinstack
- Friday, April 15 - NO SCHOOL (Bad Weather Day)
- Monday, April 18 - Student Council Six Flags Field Trip
- Tuesday, April 19 - Choir Festival at Pinstack
- Friday, April 22 - Star Card Break the Dress Code
- Saturday, May 7 - VAEF 5K/Fun Run (more information below)
Please know that if your child is not feeling well at school, they must go to the nurse. Our policy states "If a student becomes ill during the school day, and the school nurse determines that the child should go home, the nurse will contact the parent. If a student becomes ill during the school day and the school nurse or other district personnel determines that the student should go home, the nurse will contact the student’s parent and document the parent’s wishes regarding release from school." Students should not be using their personal cell phone to call home and ask someone to pick them up. We appreciate your help and support with this.
VASAT Application for incoming 9th graders
Colorguard Tryout Information
2021-2022 Yearbooks On Sale
Yearbooks are $35 until March 5
$40 until March 26
$45 until April 26
You can send a check, in an envelope marked YEARBOOK AND your child's name to the office made payable to VAMS or you can ORDER ONLINE, starting next week.
Online orders: https://link.entourageyearbooks.com/my/VAMS2022
Feed My Sheep Pantry Community Food Assistance Program
IMMUNIZATIONS - ATTENTION 6TH GRADE PARENTS
In 2009, the State of Texas began requiring specific immunizations for all 7th graders.
The immunizations that incoming 7th graders need are:
1. Tetanus, Diptheria and Pertussis-containing vaccine (Tdap): All students entering the seventh will be required to have a booster dose of Tdap only if it has been five years since their last dose of a tetanus-containing vaccine.
2. Varicella (Chicken Pox): All students entering the 7th grade will be required to have 2 doses of varicella vaccine. The 1st dose must be received on or after the 1st birthday.
3. Meningococcal Vaccine (Meningitis): All students entering 7th grade will be required to have one dose of meningococcal vaccine.
If your child has already had these immunizations, please send a copy of the immunization record from the health clinic or physician. It must include the month, day and year as well as validation by a physician or public health official.
*Immunization records must be received before schedules will be released for the 2022-2023 school year*
Immunizations are available from your family physician, the Grayson County Health Department 903.893.0131, 515 N. Walnut Sherman, Texas, Collin County Health Department 972.548.5000 N. McDonald St, Mckinney, Texas or local medical/rural health clinics. Please call the health department for hours and availability.
If you have a medical or religious reason that conflicts with these requirements, please contact the school nurse. Information on obtaining a conscious exemption can be found at the following website:
Lorie Wilson, LVN
Van Alstyne Middle School
All state requirements may be found at www.dshs.state.tx.us/immunize
The following COVID safety protocols will be in place at the beginning of school:
- Water fountains — All water fountains will be turned on this year. We still encourage students to bring a water bottle from home if they are able to. There are three water bottle refill stations that are accessible to students. Please make sure your child's water bottle has their name on it.
- Masks are optional
- Sanitizing stations — Students will be encouraged to use hand sanitizer throughout the day. Desks will be sanitized between classes.
- Visitors will be allowed — We love our parent volunteers and visitors! Parents and guardians are welcome to come and eat lunch with their child. All visitors will need to check in with Mrs. Twila in our front office where their temperature will be taken.
- Restrooms — We have signs posted on all restrooms asking students to limit 4 people at a time. We will also encourage students to wash their hands for 20 seconds before they leave the restroom.
- Symptom and Temperature Monitoring — All students will be required to enter through our south entrance (8th grade hallway). This entrance has a camera that checks the temperature of each individual that enters the building. A staff member will be at this entrance monitoring the camera. If someone has a fever, they will be asked to go to the nurse for further evaluation. All faculty and students are required to monitor symptoms and no one is permitted to come to class if they are displaying symptoms.
- Building sanitized nightly
- Buses will be sanitized after each route
If your child tests positive for COVID-19
A Note From Our Nurse....
Our clinics must have a Medication Parent Consent Form on file for students requiring medication administered during school hours. This form must be signed by parent/legal guardian. Medication must be kept in the ORIGINAL bottle. (see links below)
Children who have the following symptoms should stay home and not come to school until these symptoms have been gone for at least 24 hours without the help of medication.
- Fever (100 degrees or higher)
- Sore Throat (with fever or swollen neck)
- Persistent Vomiting or Diarrhea
- Rash (with fever and itching)
- Conjunctivitis/Pink Eye (your child can attend school 24 hours after starting medical treatment)
A child with a typical cold, but no fever or green drainage, may come to school.
If a student becomes ill during the school day, he or she must receive permission from the teacher before reporting to the school nurse. If the nurse determines that the child should go home, the nurse will contact the parent.
Parent Volunteer Group
Community Service Hour Log
Promoting community service is a goal of VAMS! In order to promote and foster serving our community and others, students can earn a community service award at the end of the year awards assemblies to recognize students who give their time, talents, and hearts.
Find opportunities throughout the school year for your child to work on their community service hours. Make sure your child is documenting their community service time on their hour log.
VAMS Community Service Hour Logs are due on Friday, May 1st. Hours are documented digitally. Click the link below to access the digital hour log.
Click on the link below "VAMS Community Service FAQ Flyer" for more information.
Click this button to access the VAMS Community Service Online Hour Log.
Volunteer Approval Form
Click the button below to access the Volunteer Approval Form. We appreciate our volunteers!
Communication throughout the year
Middle School Website: Click HERE to access the VAMS webpage.
Social Media: Want to see what goes on at VAMS during the week? Want to see pictures of students doing awesome things? Want to see what learning looks like on our campus? Be sure to like us on Facebook, Van Alstyne Middle School, and follow us on Twitter at @vamiddleschool
Digital Newsletter: We email parents a digital campus newsletter every Friday. If you are not currently signed up to receive our weekly newsletter, click HERE.
Grade-level Remind Accounts: Please sign up for the appropriate Remind accounts below to help keep you informed. We also recommend having your child sign up as well. Teachers use Remind to communicate important dates and information.
This is the link to view your child's grades and attendance. Passwords were sent home with progress reports. If you need any help with this process, you may send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the school office.
Just a few reminders about attendance:
Please send a note giving a detailed description of the reason for the absence within 3 days of any absence. Notes received after 3 days will result in an unexcused absence. Please send a doctor's note anytime your child misses school for an appointment. If your child is absent longer than 3 consecutive days because of personal illness, you must bring a statement from a doctor or health clinic verifying the illness or condition that caused the student's extended absence. If you have any questions, please send an email to email@example.com.
VAISD Kindness Challenge
As most of you are aware, school districts around the country have been plagued by students participating in TikTok challenges. These challenges ask students to destroy/vandalize school property, steal things, and do other things that can lead to legal consequences. Our youth are better than that! In an effort to combat the negative challenges on social media, VAISD challenges our youth to make a positive impact in our school and our community. Our youth can do great things! #takebacktiktok #supporteducation #VAISD #KindnessChallenge
Complete the Google Form below if you participated in the VAISD Kindness Challenge! We want to hear about the great things our youth are doing!
Complete the Google Form if you participated in the VAISD Kindness Challenge! We want to hear about the great things our youth are doing!