Fulton Science Academy High School
ACCREDITED AND STEM CERTIFIED COLLEGE PREP HIGH SCHOOL
February 12, 2021
A Message From Dr. Sener; Head of School
Dear FSA Families,
Did you know that today marks the beginning of a Lunar New Year? In reading about this educating myself about this New Year Tradition and Lunar Calendar, I learned the Lunar New Year's Eve and New Year's Day are typically spent with family in celebration along with other fun and beautiful traditions to ring in the new year.
Encyclopedia Britannica reads that the, "Lunar New Year, Chinese Chunjie, Vietnamese Tet, Korean Solnal, Tibetan Losar, also called Spring Festival, festival [is] typically celebrated in China and other Asian countries [and] begins with the first new moon of the lunar calendar and ends on the first full moon of the lunar calendar, 15 days later. The lunar calendar is based on the cycles of the moon, so the dates of the holiday vary slightly from year to year, beginning some time between January 21 and February 20 according to Western calendars. "
I hope that all of our families that celebrate the Lunar New Year have a beautiful day with your families and enjoy this special time! Happy New Year!
Dr. Kenan Sener
FSA's High School Counselors
Fulton Science Academy provides a comprehensive and developmental counseling program for students in all grade levels. This program is designed to meet student needs by promoting and supporting personal, social, emotional, and academic growth.
In high school, students have the option of choosing either honors or AP classes. Our college counselor works closely with students to build their four-year plans and implement them successfully...
- Picture Makeup Day is Friday, 2/19, from 10:00-6:00. This is a drop in event. Please enter the gym lobby and students will exit from the side gym door into the faculty parking lot. One parent may accompany. Please be sure to wear masks and maintain 6' safe spacing from all other parties.
- You may submit a photo of your student using the following form. Please complete one form per student. Form Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdmepFJNriyayNKUi3BHV9VrL2fjvV2-lXOTkb5qp24Vuz1_Q/viewform?usp=sf_link
DEADLINE for ALL PICTURES is FEBRUARY 19th.
for full details please refer to the email sent by Mrs. Griffis on February 1st
To Order Your Lifetouch Pictures Follow the Steps Below
- Visit https://my.lifetouch.com
- Enter your Picture Day ID : EVT3D9ZMK
- Order your perfect package
- Go to www.treering.com/validate
- Enter FSA's Passcode: 1013541294622699
Regular Price: $35.90
Deadline to Order: March 23, 2021
Did you know that you have the ability to customize 2 free pages?!
- Add photos from your computer, Facebook, Instagram, Google Drive & more.
- Answer fun Memory Questions to help remember the year.
- The 2 Custom Pages are FREE and are printed ONLY in your book. Want more pages? Each additional 2 pages is just $0.99
DON'T FORGET TO LOG YOUR VOLUNTEER HOURS
FSA uses X2VOL as a tool to record your community service hours. Whenever you complete any community service hours, please make sure to:
1. Complete community service hours
2. Enter these hours into your account at www.x2vol.com
3. Get them validated by the contact person of the service organization/program
4. If you do not have a contact person, please upload any proof of service (letters, photos, other evidence, e.g.)
5. Reach out to your counselor and we will approve your hours
If you cannot get it validated due to any reasons, still reach your counselor and we will work on it with you to validate them.
Quote of the Week
FSA MISSION & VISION
WHAT's IN THIS ISSUE
- FSA's Annual Fundraising | Our Goal is 100% Participation
- Career Week for High School Students | BEGINS TUESDAY!
- FSA Students perform at the top of the region at the Fulton County Regional Science and Engineering Fair (FCRSEF)!
- ICYMI: Mustang News from This Week
- Exciting competition opportunity for FSA musicians! (Deadline to Submit Auditions is MONDAY, February 15th!)
- Virtual D.E.A.R. Day at FSA | High School Students are Invited to be Guest Readers for our Elementary Students
- High School BETA Club Hosts Hygiene Care Drive during the month of February
- GNFCC Emerging Leaders Program
- Summer Opportunities for High School Students at University of Vermont: 50% Tuition Savings
- Quest Bridge College Prep Scholars Program
- Virtual Vocal Competition for High Schoolers | This Virtual Competition Offers High School Singers Cash Awards and Scholarships
- Cornell summer programs
- Online Summer Programs from Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies | deadline to apply for all programs is March 10, 2021 ~ Financial aid is available~
- And More!
FSA's Annual Fundraising | Our Goal is 100% Participation
This year our goal is to raise $200,000 with 100% participation from our families. Thanks to our generous families and community members, we have already raised $78,776 so far.
The funding from annual fundraising will be used for the third phase of our campus expansion, including the athletics field and arts center.
Please be reminded that any parent donating $1,000 or more will also earn a brick to be placed at our school entrance.
Please CLICK HERE to join our annual fundraising!
A heartfelt thank you for your support of our school. We are stronger together.
Career Week for High School Students | BEGINS TUESDAY!
FSA Students perform at the top of the region at the Fulton County Regional Science and Engineering Fair (FCRSEF)!
- Biomedical Engineering: Om Guin 1st place & Aarushi Guin 2nd place
- Engineering Mechanics: Dongjoon Jeong 1st place
- Robotics and Intelligent Machines: Neerav Soneji 1st place
- Translational and Medical Sciences: Navya Nori 1st place
- Lemelson Early Inventor Prize: Om Guin
- Office of Naval Research - U.S. Navy /U.S. Marine Corps: Navya Nori
- United States Air Force: Navya Nori
- Broadcom Masters: Om Guin and Navya Nori
HIGH SCHOOL HIGHLIGHT
Dongjoon Jeong - 2021 Senior
ICYMI: Mustang News from This Week
Exciting competition opportunity for FSA musicians! (Deadline to Submit Auditions is MONDAY, February 15th!)
Greetings FSA Musicians & Families!
The Charleston International Music Competition has invited our young musicians to participate in their global online 2021 Winter Music Competition. This is an exciting opportunity with chances to earn recognition, be featured on YouTube, and win prizes in a variety of categories! Finalists will also be considered for a cash prize!
To enter, all you need to do is submit a video of yourself performing a musical piece or movement by a composer born in a winter month of December, January or February. Examples of winter-born composers include (but are not limited to):
This contest is open to singers, instrumentalists, and ensembles. More details about how to submit your video can be found here.
Deadline to submit a video is February 15th and there is NO submission fee to enter.
(If you do not have a song prepared to enter into this contest, you can also look into applying for their 2021 Baroque Music Competition, which has a later deadline of March 15th. More details to follow.)
Virtual D.E.A.R. Day at FSA | High School Students are Invited to be Guest Readers for our Elementary Students
We are excited to celebrate Read Across America Week in elementary at FSA. To finish out the week, we will have our annual D.E.A.R. (Drop Everything And Read) day on Friday, March 5th. We would love to make this day special for our students by having some guest readers join in on the fun! High School Students are also encouraged to participate if they are able! We also think our students would LOVE to see their familiar FSA faces for a read aloud and/or activity if you are interested. These read alouds would be done virtually. If you are interested and available, please sign up below!
Thank you for helping make this a memorable day for our students!
GNFCC Emerging Leaders Program
The Greater North Fulton Chamber is hard at work planning for our 2021-22 Emerging Leaders (ELP) program, and we hope your students from Fulton Science Academy will join us!
The Emerging Leaders Program (ELP) offers a unique opportunity for sophomores and juniors from North Fulton high schools who wish to develop leadership skills, identify and address community issues and interact with local leaders. This is accomplished through a combination of interactive lectures, discussions, site visits, outside activities, community service, and networking opportunities.
Pillars of the program include promoting community awareness, instilling civic responsibility, and building relationships. Students engage civic leaders through program class days including:
- Leadership Training
- Recognizing Your Strengths
- Working with a Team
- Professional Development
- Financial Literacy
- Mock Interview
- Community Service
- Government & Judicial
- Valuing Community Diversity
- Health & Wellness
- Technology, Innovation & Entrepreneurism
- Public Safety & Justice
Click Here for the program link.
Empower and inspire in your Mustang Talk, a spin on TED Talks!
There are three rounds:
Round I: Presentations to Ms. Agha and Ms. Oliver during club time in February (self-scheduled) for initial feedback.
Round II: Polished presentations to Ms. Agha and Ms. Oliver during club time in February (self-scheduled) for final practice and feedback
Round III: Live performance April 16th - time TBD
Theme: “2020 Taught Me”
Speech length: 5-10 minutes
Open to all high school students (virtual and in-person)!
1st place: $300
2nd place: $200
3rd place: $100
This is an AMAZING chance to practice your public speaking skills, receive feedback and coaching, gain confidence, and reflect on 2020!
We are excited to hear from you!
Virtual Vocal Competition for High Schoolers | This Virtual Competition Offers High School Singers Cash Awards and Scholarships
Brought to you by Schmidt Vocal Arts
The Schmidt Vocal Competition gives aspiring high school singers the opportunity to perform, connect with other singers, and learn from educational master classes with some of the best in the business!
Young singers can gain so much from participating in judged vocal competitions. That's why we love the Schmidt Vocal Arts Competition, which is offering virtual competitions this spring, so students don't have to miss out on what they love most.
The annual competition is open to sophomore, junior, and senior high school singers. Check out this year's schedule. Students have a chance to receive cash awards and scholarships from an impressive pool of $450,000 annually!
Quest Bridge College Prep Scholars Program
Summer Opportunities for High School Students at University of Vermont: 50% Tuition Savings
Our summer pre-college courses provide motivated high school students with a variety of opportunities to:
- Earn college credits
- Discover a new interest and potential career paths
- Explore a subject that isn't offered at their high school
- Gain a competitive advantage when applying to college
If you have any questions, please feel free to email us, use live chat or join our upcoming webinar, on February 16, 2021 at 7:00pm EST.
During the webinar we will discuss how Summer Academy works and how students can apply. RSVP today!
Webinar speakers will include:
- Paula Tracy, Ph.D. - Professor in the Department of Biochemistry at the Robert Larner, M.D. College of Medicine at The University of Vermont
- Hannah Sher - York Prep High School in NYC, Former Summer Academy Student
- Kristen Kilbashian, M.S. - Sr. Enrollment & Retention Advisor for the Department of Continuing and Distance Education at UVM
As one of the nation's longest running and most highly regarded precollege academic programs, it gives motivated students the chance to
- Get a head start on college by earning 3 to 6 credits and a Cornell transcript
- Immerse themselves in rigorous university courses taught by top Cornell faculty
- Prep for college applications with one-on-one admissions counseling
- Connect with a diverse group of high school students from around the world
Students choose from undergraduate Cornell courses in Arts and Architecture, Business and Hospitality, Health and Humanities, International Relations, Science and Technology, Social Change, Veterinary Medicine, and more. You can also create your own six- or nine-week program.
Courses are offered between June 1 and August 3, 2021. Limited financial aid is available.
Emory remains test optional for another year
As this season of college admissions comes to a close, we start to see what schools will do for next year. Juniors- pay attention for what the schools will be requiring for next year!
The coronavirus pandemic continues to impact the availability of SAT and ACT availability for students around the world. For this reason, Emory University has extended its test optional policy for another year. This impacts all applicants who plan to enroll as first-year or transfer students in Fall 2022.
Like last year, this policy applies to both entry points of Emory University, Emory College of Arts and Sciences and Oxford College, all decision plans, and all merit scholarship consideration.
New this year, the policy will apply to transfer students who wish to start in the Fall 2022 semester. Our hope is that transfer applicants for Fall 2021 will have had the opportunity to test before the pandemic.
Summary of the test policy:
- Submitting standardized test scores remains completely optional.
- Students will still not have to justify or disclose why they are not submitting scores.
- Students will not be disadvantaged in the review process if they do not submit scores.
Our office remains committed to a holistic application review that relies on an experienced committee of admission staff and faculty. As always, the admission committee will make decisions with the best information available and with as much flexibility as possible to consider applicants from all backgrounds and experiences.
Pre-College STEM Programs for High School Students @ Illinois Tech
This summer, we're giving high school students the chance to explore a new topic while previewing college life with Pre-College Programs at Illinois Tech.
Want to develop leadership skills, complete a design project, or understand how Google Maps works? High school students interested in STEM can choose from dozens of ways—online and in-person—to experience these fields up close.
Check out our program selection and prepare to discover with us at Illinois Tech—Chicago’s only tech-focused university—this summer.
Learn about topics in:
- Psychology and Social Sciences
- Design Thinking
Check out our full listing of programs on our website.
DOWNLOAD OUR 2021 ADMISSION VIEWBOOK >
Learn more about our academic programs and offerings.
VISIT OUR CAMPUS VIRTUALLY >
We offer daily tours, information sessions, and individual appointments with admission counselors.
KSU Dual Enrollment Information Sessions
Sophomores and Juniors,
Take a look into the following event if you are interested in KSU dual enrollment. Let Mr. Oz and Ms. Agha know if you have any questions.
Kennesaw State Dual Enrollment Information Sessions:
If you are a rising Junior or Seniors and interested in the Kennesaw State Dual enrollment program for the summer, fall, or future term, KSU will be hosting spring information session via Zoom.
You may register for the March session by going to https://visit.kennesaw.edu/special-events/index.php.
- March 3,2021 at 6:00 pm
Here is more information about the program: https://admissions.kennesaw.edu/admissions-requirements/dual-enrollment.php
START PLANNING YOUR SUMMER NOW
Don’t waste your summer! Start planning now about how you can increase your experience. Here’s my suggestion- if you have an area of interest, Google “precollege” and [your area of interest].
For example, a student said they were interested in neuroscience so we looked up “precollege neuroscience” and were able to identify several programs for her to consider. This may take some research but these programs can provide invaluable experience. Just to get you started, here’s a list you can start click through: High school students
- Brown University: Summer@Brown
- · Columbia University: The Science of Psychology
- · Cornell University: Summer College
- · Eastern Kentucky University: Camp Inner Space
- · Emory University: Pre-College Program
- · Gettysburg College: Camp Psych
- · Harvard Summer School: Secondary School Program
- · Illinois Institute of Technology: Psychology in Everyday Life
- · Ithaca College: Summer College for High School Students
- · Johns Hopkins University: Summer Programs at Johns Hopkins
- · Rutgers: Summer Scholars Program
- · Stanford University: High School Summer College
- · University of Chicago: Summer Session
- · University of Maryland: Terp Young Scholars
- · University of Southern California: Summer Programs for High School Students
If you have any questions about a summer program, reach out to the program first. If you are interested in talking about how it would fit with your college planning, feel free to involve your counselor in the conversation! With us living in a pandemic, please make sure you’re aware of costs, if it’s in-person or virtual, if there’s a back-up plan in case there’s a lock down, if credit would be awarded, and what is the commitment from you.
Online Summer Programs from Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies | deadline to apply for all programs is March 10, 2021 ~ Financial aid is available~
GET YOUR VERY OWN FSA SPIRIT WEAR FROM OUR SIDELINE STORE!!
FSA's Sideline store offers families the opportunity to show their school spirit at or away from school! You have the ability to fully customize your apparel and the site offers brands such as The North Face, Under Armor, Nike, and more!
Items include shirts, sweatshirts, shorts, performance wear, polos, pullovers, jackets, vests, headwear, bags, chairs, bibs, drinkware, knits, blankets, and more!!!
Check out the site today to get your very own customized FSA apparel!
How Does Aftercare Work for High School Students?
High School Families,
We would like to openly tell you that when more students stay for after school care, it will be harder for us to protect the safety of after school care students during the pandemic. Therefore, If your child is not staying for After-School Clubs or Tutoring, we strongly ask you to pick up your child between 3:16 pm and 3:40 pm.
If your child stays for After-School Clubs or Tutoring, please pick-up your child between 4:00 pm - 4:10 pm.
After school care begins at 4:10 pm and continues until 5:30 pm.
For those students who regularly use after school care, we recommend the monthly payment plan to save money. After school care fee is $20 per day for the monthly payment plan. If you are not interested in a monthly registration, you will indicate this on the form sent in your email. You will be charged $30 per day as you use after school care. After 5:30, the fee increases to $40, and $1 is added for each minute after 6:00. If a student is not taken by 7:00 pm, we will inform the local safety authorities for the safety of the student.
If your child will be joining after school care, you will follow the drive to pass the front of the school and park your car at the far end of the building. After parking your car, you will enter through the courtyard entrance. You will not come inside the school building. Please enter the courtyard, and knock on the door "L25" for Middle School and "HS Hangout" for High School students. The images below will help you to see where to park, enter the courtyard, and pick up your child. Please make sure to have your carpool card with you. Please make sure to be wearing a mask, and please maintain social distancing while traveling up the stairs to get your child. Once you have picked up your child, please exit from the same courtyard entrance.
Please note: families are not permitted to gather and remain in the courtyard area after picking up their children.
"HS Hangout" for High School
FSA Social Media
4- FSA LINKEDIN
So many of you have LinkedIn accounts. To get news about our school on LinkedIn, simply follow our schools’s LinkedIn page.