MoASSP Messenger May 31, 2019
Volume 32 Number 35
QUOTE FOR THE PRINCIPAL'S JOURNEY
Update From the Executive Director
75th Anniversary of D Day
If you ever get a chance to visit France, a must stop is Normandy. It will change your life forever. We remember the Allied invasion of Normandy in Operation Overlord during World War II next Thursday. President Eisenhower's quote above motivates me. As leaders, expecting success, is a core value of a strong leader.
MoASSP Show Me Tour Continues
We were in several schools this past week, and we always enjoy having a brief word with principals and their staff. We have many exemplars of excellent schools doing great things for students and communities. I have highlighted Washington HS, Layfette HS, and Webster Groves HS below.
If you are contemplating ordering a standing desk for your office, you may get a laugh at a two-minute video I included below.
What's Your Purpose
There is research showing that people who have a definite purpose in life live longer. Thanks to Bob Larivee, Executive Director, MoACTE, for sharing an interesting article that supports what we have believed for a long time. Translate this to hiring staff with a definite purpose or mission-minded calling to education. I have included the article below.
In Case You Missed It
I have included several items below (Marshall Memo, MoASSP PD, MLDS Survey) in case you've missed earlier communication.
Summer Board Meeting/Retreat of the MoASSP Board of Directors, Regional Presidents & Presidents-Elect
The quarterly meeting of the MoASSP Board of Directors will be June 19-20 in Columbia. As is tradition, we invite Regional Presidents and Presidents-Elect to attend.
Storms & Flooding
Our hearts go out to Missouri communities impacted by the devastating weather that has affected so many in recent weeks. Many times, principals are asked to help lead the charge with community cleanup efforts. We are thinking about all of you as you provide support, resources, and comfort for people in need in your community.
Appreciate the Good Things in Life
We are happier and healthier when we "take time to smell the roses (flowers)." As you head into summer mode, take care of yourself.
MoASSP Summer Hours
As we head into summer mode, our office here in Columbia will be open Monday-Thursday from 7:30-4:00 each day starting today through August 30.
Whether you are aspiring, emerging, developing, or transformational, wherever you are on the “Principal’s Journey," it is a “matter of principal(ple).”
Have a great weekend.
PLANNING CONTINUES FOR THE 85TH ANNUAL FALL CONFERENCE
MoASSP Visits Washington High School
A ONE OF A KIND DESK AT WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL BUILT BY ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL, SHAWN WALLACE.
MoASSP DROPS BY LAYFETTE HS IN WILDWOOD, MISSOURI
SEVERAL IMAGES AS YOU STROLL THROUGH THE HALLS AT LAFAYETTE HIGH SCHOOL
WEBSTER GROVES HIGH SCHOOL NEXT STOP ON THE MoASSP SHOW ME TOUR
A FEW IMAGES AS YOU ENTER WEBSTER GROVES HIGH SCHOOL BUILT IN 1906 WITH A RICH HISTORY
TAKE TIME TO SMELL THE ROSES (FLOWERS). TREAT YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY...DINE, SHOP, TRAVEL, SAVE.
It isn't too late to sign up for the National Principals Conference in Boston July 18-20. Click on this link for more information.
You Are MoASSP
MoASSP Membership...It's All About You
2019-2020 Regional, State, & National Memberships
Membership Letter From Executive Director
The Instructional Change Agent: 48 Ways to Be the Leader Your School Needs
Adam Drummond's book captures the heart of a principal by providing a fresh look at time-tested systems that spotlight the core values of the principalship that will sure to increase stakeholder value. This wisdom-packed book of everyday, realistic, and purpose-filled ideas, is recommended for any principal’s bookshelf. Clark Mershon, Executive Director, MoASSP. Adam was the closing keynote at the MoASSP Spring Conference.
Upcoming Regional Meetings, Workshops, & New Principals Conference Information
MoASSP Board of Directors
- NASSP Coordinator for Missouri: John Faulkenberry, Lee's Summit HS
- MoASSP President: Ed Gettemeier, Hardin MS
- MoASSP President-Elect: Marc Spunaugle, Lincoln HS
- MoASSP Past President: Chris Hoehne, Ste. Genevieve HS
- MoASSP Treasurer: Kathryn Greer, Francis Howell North HS
- At-Large Non-Public: Valerie Todd, St. Mary's HS
- At-Large Assistant Principal: Jennifer Strauser, Eureka HS
- At-Large Middle Level: Jonathan Apostol, Monett MS
- Kansas City (GKCMPA): Jeff Meisenheimer, Lee's Summit North HS
- Northwest: Robert Bowers, Lathrop HS
- Northeast: Scott Daly, Hallsville HS
- Southeast: Dan Hecht, Kelly-Benton HS
- Southwest: Sarah Odom, Cherokee MS
- South Central: Jim Pritchett, Rolla HS
- Central: Brandon Harding, Cole Camp HS
- St. Louis (SASSP): Andy Croley, McCluer North HS
- NASSP Board Member: Kevin Lowery, Lebanon HS
2018-2019 District Presidents
- Central Region: Jonathan Petersen, Smithton HS
- GKCMPA: Charlie Belt, Blue Springs South HS
- Northeast Region: Deborah Hill-Haag, Mexico MS
- Northwest Region: Beery Johnson, Benton HS
- SASSP: Gary Jansen, Crestview MS (Rockwood)
- South Central Region: Kelle McCallum, Washington HS
- Southeast Region: Lucas McKinnis, Bernie HS
- Southwest Region: Keith White, Buffalo HS
Missouri Association of Secondary School Principals
The vision of MoASSP is to serve ALL middle level and high school administrators.
The mission of MoASSP is to improve secondary education through positive leadership and the enhancement of student performance.