Arrival and Dismissal
Some important arrival and dismissal information for new AND returning students!
- We do not have supervision for students prior to the doors opening at 8:25am. Please do not drop your student off prior to that time.
- Please make sure you have your school issued bright BLUE car rider tag. Students will not be put in cars without those tags. The yellow car rider tags from the 20-21 school year will NOT be accepted. If you need more car rider tags, please call the office to schedule a time to pick them up.
- Car rider dismissal begins at 3:30pm. For parents in the north loop, please do not enter the loop until the buses have entered. If buses have not entered by 3:30pm, please enter the loop at that time.
New Bell Times
- The bell will ring at 8:25a.m. to allow students in the building. Please do not drop students off in the car rider loops prior to 8:25am.
- School will begin at 8:40a.m. Students who arrive to school after 8:40a.m. will be counted tardy.
- Dismissal for bus riders and walkers will begin at 3:25p.m. Car rider dismissal will begin at 3:30p.m.
Alternate Schedule Bell Times:
2-Hour Early Out - 8:40 a.m. to 1:25 p.m.
Half-Day - 8:40 to 11:40 a.m.
New Office Email
Need to email the school office? Please use the email address HToffice@ksdr1.net.
Front Office Info
- If you are changing your child's default mode of transportation home, you must send a note to school or call the office no later than 2:00pm. We will not send students home a way other than the default mode of transportation without one of those two pieces of communication.
- If you are coming by the building to drop off or pick something up or to pick up a student, please call the office when you are on your way so we can have what you need ready for you when you arrive.
Behavior Intervention Support Team (BIST)
Hawthorne teachers and staff have been learning over the past year how to best support our students who may struggle at times with behaviors by utilizing the BIST model. The purpose of the BIST model is to partner with students when they are struggling and help them be accountable for their actions to make changes in their life.
BIST is designed to teach and protect students through GRACE and ACCOUNTABILITY so that students can demonstrate three important life skills listed below and make good choices.
Grace is unconditional acceptance of students, but not negative behavior.
Accountability is allowing students to accept responsibility for themselves and their actions.
I can make good choices even if I am mad or have an overwhelming feeling.
I can be okay even if others are not okay.
I can do something even if it's hard or I don't want to.
Free Parenting Series
- Create consistency between school and home
- Provide language for adults to use when redirecting children
- Share ways to problem solve to increase your child’s success
- Incorporate family meetings into your routine
- Bring a sense of calmness to your home
Please join us for any or all three sessions!
BIST Parenting Series Topics:
- Tuesday, September 21: Setting Boundaries and Increasing Partnership
- Tuesday, September 28: Proactive Problem Solving
- Tuesday, October 5: Family Meetings and Planning
For more information , please email or call the front office.
Free Breakfast and Lunch for All KSD Students!
For the 2021-2022 school year, we will once again have free breakfast and lunch for students within Kearney School District boundaries.
K-5 students attending school in person may receive free breakfast and lunch at school. Students who choose to eat breakfast at school will need to check in with their teacher, drop their belongings off in the classroom and then go to the Commons to get breakfast.
Free meals include breakfast and lunch but do not include a la carte items, extra milk or
Return To School Plan
- Universal, indoor masking is required for all students, KSD staff members and visitors regardless of vaccination status.
- Students and adults are required to wear masks while in our school buses.
In addition, nonessential visitors, volunteers and activities involving external groups will not be allowed on KSD properties. Nonessential visits, such as eating lunch with your child at school, will not be allowed at this time.
We encourage you to read the plan in detail here.