Peter The Great
by Nick Thom
- Peter the Great was a very strict ruler.
- Valued education and set up academies for mathematics, engineering, and science.
- Had no mercy for anyone who disagreed with his ideas.
- Opened many academies for mathematics, science, and engineering.;
- Created the largest standing army in Europe at the time.
- Expanded Russia's borders from west and south.
- Brought back a group of teachers, and technical experts back to Russia that he recruited in Europe.
- Built and constructed the city St. Petersburg.
- Ended Russia's period of isolation.
- Forced landowning nobles to serve the state by participating in military or civilian positions.
- Passed a law saying that nobles kept control of their land.
- Forced some people to be workers or laborers on roads, government projects, or canals.
- Peter the Great also encouraged exporting items
- Was only 10 years old when he took the throne in 1682. However did not have government control until 1689.
- Was not actually very educated himself.
- When he died, most of his reforms ended.