Foothill MS Community Newsletter
August 31, 2020
Welcome to Week 3! Wednesday this week will be our first virtual Back to School Night! See below for all the details.
Next week brings our first school holiday. Monday, September 7, is Labor Day and there will be no classes. The student schedule will eliminate Wednesday's schedule, so each curricular area will meet and stay on track. And to add the final touches for the week, Wednesday, September 9th will be a Dine and Donate event at Chipolte (see flyer below).
It is important that your child attends their classes, if they need to be absent please follow the protocol for contacting our attendance secretary.
Don't forget to be awesome!
~appreciatively your principal, Mrs. Vaiana
Back to School Night, September 2
- We will have a dedicated Back to School Night page which will include messaging from all teachers, counselors, and the administrative team.
- The dedicated Back to School Night page will be live at 3pm, Wednesday, September 2.
- Any questions that may arise please email the teacher, they will respond within 24 hours from receipt (excluding weekends). Their contact is found in the parent/guardian portal, student portal, and Griffin Staff page on our website.
- Counselors and administrators are available by email as well. Contacts are found on our website, on the administration tab.
Donations and Spirit Wear
Thank you for contributing to Foothill by supporting your student's education. This includes time and energy as well as financially. As a public school we depend on the contributions for elective classes with supplies, software and licensing for curricular areas, and technology. Additionally donations made to our PFA, support having an additional counselor four days a week, provide staff for our library for students to have access, and money for technology support with devices and our webpage. All this is possible thanks to parents and guardians.
REPOST: While "IN" class
- It is important for your child to understand they are "in class" and our school rules exist.
- Students may not take pictures of the screen, of their classmates or the teacher, and distribute through any unapproved media (anything not teacher directed). This includes all social media posting.
- School discipline will occur, which may include suspension of your rights to digital access as well as suspension from a class.
Each student in MDUSD and their parent/guardian has signed the District Responsible Use Policy
- Responsible uses of technology are devoted to activities which support teaching and learning. The following items constitute our agreement about the use of technology in the schools of Mt. Diablo Unified School District.
REPOST: Reporting and Clearing Absences
Students shall attend all classes and activities to which they are assigned. If a student does not attend his/her assigned class or activity, the absence shall be reported to the attendance secretary. When a student’s absence from school and/or class is not cleared, the parent / guardian will be notified.
All-Day & Partial Day Absences
must be cleared within 3 school days.
Call the Foothill ABSENCE LINE
Leave the following information on the voicemail:
Student’s name (Always SPELL the last name)
Reason for Absence (required)
Date(s) of absence(s)
Person & relationship making the call (Please SPELL the last name)
Your BEST daytime phone number
More than 12 excused absences due to illness in a school year is considered excess (AR5113); verification by a physician will be required for subsequent absences due to illness or medical appointments.
REPOST: PFA Meetings--please join us.
Foothill's Parent Faculty Association meetings are normally held on the third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. Previously we meet in the school library, but due to the current Coronavirus Pandemic, we have switched to online only meetings using Zoom conferencing. Click here to request the Zoom link to our next meeting. The PFA does not typically hold a June, July, or a December meeting.
PFA meeting dates scheduled for the 2020-21 year are:
Wednesday, September 16, 2020
Wednesday, October 21, 2020
Wednesday, November 18, 2020
Wednesday, December 16, 2020 (if needed)
Wednesday, January 20, 2021
Wednesday, February 17, 2021
Wednesday, March 17, 2021
Wednesday, April 21, 2021
Wednesday, May 19, 2021
We encourage you to join us at our monthly meetings. Every parent/guardian is automatically a member of the PFA and we encourage you to attend, share your voice and get involved. You can learn more about what is happening at the school, ask questions, raise issues, and if you wish, volunteer your services.