Mrs. Trout's Weekly News
November 30-December 5th
Here's what we learned:
Language Arts: We learned the new sight words: he and for. We discussed what non-fiction books are. Students listened to the non-fiction book animal homes. Students wrote and illustrated about the different types of homes animals live in. We also learned the amazing words: nest, hive, stump, meadow, tree trunk, and den. Students listened to the big book A bed for Winter. Students discussed and helped sequence the events from the story. The students also worked in differentiated reading groups. We focused on learning good reading strategies (using our pointy finger, using the pictures as clues, sounding out the words, etc..) Students read books with our sight words in them. Students used story maps and write and illustrate about their reading group books sequence of the story. Students worked in literacy centers focusing on rhyming words, beginning and ending sounds, word building , and letter writing.
Letters of the week: Students learned about the letters W and X and the sounds they make. Students helped in brainstorming a list of words that begin with these letters. Students completed a variety of phonemic activities using these letters. Students wrote words that begin with these letters and challenged themselves to write these words in sentences.
Math: Students used their math skills and math language to review about the concept of one more. Students reviewed how to represent numbers to 20 on a ten frame. Students also focused on number writing, representing and problem solving numbers to 100. Students worked in math centers on number writing, representation, and double ten frames. Students learned to count by 10's to 100.
Social Studies: We learned all about the four seasons. We explored the seasons of Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. We learned about the different weather and events that take place in each season. Students listened to a variety of books and mixed media about each season. Students wrote and illustrated facts about each season. Students concluded our unit by working in cooperative learning groups to make posters about each season.
Reminders and upcoming events:
- Polar Express Night will be next Wednesday!! Please come with the family and have pizza, make crafts and have fun with your friends. it is from 5:30-7:00. Don't to wear your pj's!! PLEASE RSVP if you plan on attending!
- Holiday gift shop will be next week! Please return the money and envelopes if you would want your child to participate.
- The Chesterbrook Sleepover will be December 11th!! A great night to do some holiday shopping!
- A letter was sent out about our holiday book exchange. Please buy a non-gender specific book for $5.00 and wrap it with your child's name on it. We will have a book exchange the morning of December 23rd.
- First grade is still collecting new pajama's for their pajama drive!!