Fifth Grade PEAK
Mrs. Turner's December News
I'm so proud of the amazing thinking the kids continue to do during our Topic Study time. We made some big changes this year and they are really paying off! As you know, students were allowed to pick their own topic- anything was fair game as long as they had a personal passion for it. They then worked hard to write essential questions and conduct their research. We even made 5 minute videos showcasing our "expert" knowledge. Now, we're ready to express what we learned through a self-selected project. We look forward to sharing these with you!
- My Tuesday students work with Mrs. Mann's 4th grade students during topic study. We are able to have 4 adults in the room helping the students go deeper in thinking.
- My Monday and Wednesday students have become mentors to Mrs. Overcast's second grade students. We helped the students write essential questions and set up their note taking format.
Topic Study Mentors
- 5th grade students are wrapping up research. We are learning how to write feature magazine articles. Students are using mentor texts as a model to help them write their very own feature magazine article about their brain topic. The writing process should span a few weeks.
Math:We are still working through the 10 Things mathematicians and scientists should know but are rarely taught. We have completed:
- Math and Science Will Tell you the Truth
- Counterintuitive thinking
- Occam's Razor
- Mistakes and Frustrations are part of learning
- Healthy Skepticism
- Statistics can lie
- Keep an open mind
- Cause and correlation
- Ethical decision making
- Understanding biases.
4th and 5th grade students have taken part in several Team Challenges already this year. In fact, it's one of the most requested PEAK day activities. I love that they're so excited to work together!