The Real Boston Massacre

Bombers attack at the 117th annual Boston Marathon

Race Day Turns Deadly

On April 15, 2013, at approximately 2:49 PM, two bombs went off near the finish line. At this time, there were more than 5,600 of the 23,000 participants still running. The two pressure-cooker bombs packed with shrapnel and other materials that were hidden in backpacks placed on the ground killed three spectators and wounded more than 260 other people.

Layers of Government Unite During U.S. Crisis

An investigation involving more than 1,000 federal, state, and local law enforcement personnel was launched immediately. Finally on April 18, there was a breakthrough in the case when FBI analysts, after digging through thousands of videos and photographs taken by security cameras, pinpointed two male suspects, whose names were unknown.

Another Tragedy Strikes

That same night, Sean Collier, a 27-year-old police officer was shot dead at the Cambridge school campus. Authorities later would link the murder to Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the male suspects from the bombing case. Soon after Collier was killed, Tamerlan carjacked a Mercedes SUV, later joined by his brother who was following in a Honda Civic. The men held the driver of the SUV hostage and revealed that they were the Boston Marathon Bombers. When they forced the hostage to stop at a Cambridge gas station to withdraw money from an ATM, the man escaped and called the police. He told the authorities that they could track the location of the brothers with the GPS of his cell phone that was left in the car.

Shortly after midnight, a gun battle between Boston PD and the suspects broke out. Tamerlan Tsarnaev was tackled by police, while his brother, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, got back into the SUV and ran over him. Tamerlan was taken to the hospital, but could not be resuscitated. Dzhokhar later abandoned the SUV and fled on foot.

Massive Manhunt Shuts Down City

April 19, the Boston area was put on lockdown. School and public transportation were closed, and people were advised to stay inside heir homes while police conducted door-to-door searches.

That evening, a resident of Watertown went to check on his dry-docked boat in his backyard. He was startled to find a person covered in blood, who turned out to be Dzhokar Tsarnaev. After the man called 911, police surrounded the terrorist and took him into custody. Federal prosecutors announced that they will seek the death penalty against him if he is convicted.