First Grade Weekly Update
May 4- May 8
Welcome to this edition of the first grade Weekly Explorations! Each Monday, we will share the suggested district materials for the week as well as optional explorations and activities to extend distance learning. It includes videos and links for all subject areas (in order) ELA, math, IB and science. As work is completed, make sure to send pictures to your teacher! We love to see what you guys are up to!
Links for this newsletter include:
- Moral lesson -
- Mystery Science-
- Mother's Day activities-
Be sure to check them all out!
**Remember** these assignments can be done using any sheet of paper! Also, the suggested academic time for a first grader is 2-2.5 hours. This schedule is just a suggestion for implementing a routine at home as most kids thrive on structure, routine, and consistency.
English Language Arts
Anchor Text- "What Can You Do"
(be able to read without sounding out)
(be able to spell without sounding out)
(be able to use when speaking) - pick 2 following the format of the vocabulary detective graphic organizer.
- dreadful- awful, causing unhappiness
- grumbled- complained in a low, unhappy voice
- demanded- insisted on having something
- cobweb- a spider's nest, especially when old and covered in dust
- terrified- very scared
- panted- breathed with quick, short breaths
The moral is the lesson learned from the story; how to behave, act, and get along.
Place Value, Comparison, Addition and Subtraction to 100
Complete your work and send a picture to your teacher!
Sharing the Planet
I CAN- explain how camouflage helps animals survive.
I CAN- describe why our city should have compost bins.
Assignment- write a letter to the mayor explaining why Buffalo should have compost bins.
Happy Mother's Day!
First Grade Team
- Mrs. Heide-Oliveto: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mrs. Hogues: email@example.com
- Mrs. Hyde: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Jasen: email@example.com
- Mrs. Northrup: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mrs. Reeb & Mrs. Hoffman: email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mrs. Wulf: email@example.com
How to log in to District Websites
The Lexia/Headspout and Moby Max contest has begun for May!
Project to show our IB Attribute – Caring
We are doing another video to thank the BPS and community nurses, custodians and cafeteria staff! They are still working either at Makowski, the hospital or handing out lunches at one of the community schools. If you could, please have your kids draw a picture of a rainbow or write a little message to thank these amazing essential workers. Send me a picture of the kids holding up their sign. Please be aware this video will be posted on social media as well as YouTube.