The "Gem State"
- Capital: Boise (population: 205.000)
- Area: 83.570 sq mi
- Population: 1.570.000
- in the Indian language „Ee-dah-how“ means "Light on the Mountains"
- very mountainous and unspoiled
- mountains: the Snake River Plain in the south, the Rocky Mountains in the remaining part
- highest mountain: Borah Peak (12.668 ft)
- rivers: Snake River (1078 mi), Salmon River (425 mi), Clark Fork River (310 mi)
National parcs, monuments and recreation areas
- Yellowstone National Park: the first national park in the world
- Craters of the Moon National Monument: a large area of cooled streams of lava
- Hells Canyon: North America's deepest river gorge at 7.993 ft