Volume 1, Issue 8 - October 6, 2017
As the school year gets busier with activities and homework workload, some students struggle with balance. Here are some ways how you can support your student:
- Choose a regular time and place for homework - It should be a quiet location if possible, and free from distractions (those cellphones!)
- Allow for some free time - Kids need to blow off steam after school by exercising or talking about their days.
- Postpone screen time - TV, cellphone, and video games take time away from priorities, including reading, homework, and chores. Save the screen time for after those things are done.
- Encourage organization - Productive studying starts with a to-do list!
- Pay attention - Homework time is a chance for you to learn abut your child... what skills do they have? What are the struggles?
- Be supportive - Don't ever do your child's homework for him, but do stay nearby and supervise. It's ok to answer questions and guide your student through problems. However, if he needs too much help, talk with their teacher.
**From the Parent Institute: Practical Ideas for parents to help their children.
From the Nurse's Office
This week you received a reminder about the Flu Shot for your students. If you did not turn in the Flu Shot form during Back to School night, you may still do so. You may get a new form from the office, or print the attached form. You may also find the form in our Gentry website. Your student will not receive a Flu Shot if you do not turn in the form.
Update on Science Camps
7th grade Science Camps teams A, B and C will be running Oct. 10-13. This is a change as the Oct. 5-6 (team B) camp has merged with the Oct. 10-11(team A) and Oct. 12-13 (team C) camps due to inclement weather. Mrs. Schnake’s (team B) periods 2 and 3 will go with Team A. Her periods 4 and 8 will go with team C. The weather looks great for next week and the students are super excited! We are going to have a great time. Thanks to all parents who volunteered and sent food!!!
We've Got Spirit! How 'bout You?
If your 7th/8th grade student is interested trying out for the Winter Gentry Cheer Squad, now is the time to make sure that all of their MSHSAA paperwork is completed and on file in the main office. Our cheer squad tryouts will be held on October 26 and 27th from 3:00-5:00 pm each day in the upstairs commons. Students must attend BOTH days of tryouts in order to be considered for a spot on the team. For more information, please contact Coach McIntyre at JMcIntyre@cpsk12.org
Jaguar Rumble Against Cancer
The Gentry PTSA is working off of emails provided at back to school night this year. If you are not receiving communication from PTSA, we invite you to fill out a membership form so we can add you to our email list. These forms can be found on the Gentry website.
We just had our second meeting on Tuesday, 10/4. We are meeting on the first Tuesday evening of each month in the Media Center at 6pm, except for next month so it won't interfere with Parent/Teacher Conferences. Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, November 14th. Hope to see you there.
We are working on finalizing the details for our upcoming "Krispy Kreme" Donut Fundraiser! Please be watching for more details to be coming home in the next week or so.
Dates to Remember
October 10 & 11 - Science Camp 7A + Some 7B
October 12 - Parent Focus Group
October 12 & 13 - Science Camp 7C + Some 7B
October 13 - IPR's sent home with MAP scores
October 13 - Jaguar Rumble against Cancer (Susan G. Komen)
October 16 - RBHS Marching Band Assembly
October 17 - Early Release Day
October 17 - New rotation 6th grade electives
For practices and games check Gentry website!