Don Tyson School of Innovation - August 10, 2020
We are excited to begin the 20-21 school year in two short weeks. Your amazing teachers return to campus on Tuesday, August 11th to plan and prepare for your return whether that is in person or virtual. For those of you returning to campus or new to campus, we will be starting the year with the opening of Phase II which we are calling Phoenix East and our current building will be called Phoenix West.
I am so honored to serve in a district and in a school that offers students the opportunities that we do. Highlights of the Phoenix East include:
- Industrial Maintenance Technology
- Audio Visual Technology Studio/Control Room
- Creative Design Studio (Makerspace and Media Center)
- Additional Art Studios
- State of the Art Science Labs
- New Band and Choir Areas
- Expanded Diesel Mechanic Program
- An additional cafeteria space
- We will also have a new gym, dance studio, and performing arts center that will open in January 2021.
A few logistics that will be important for you to know:
- 6th-8th grades will primarily have core classes in Phoenix West (our current building).
- 9th-12th grade students will primarily have core classes in Phoenix East (new building)
- All students will have electives in both buildings depending on the electives they selected.
- If you are coming to campus during school hours and need to enter our building please note the locations: 6th - 8th Grade Phoenix West (current building) and 9th -12th Phoenix East (new building). We have signage on campus to direct you.
- No matter where you arrive we are always happy to help you.
Thank you for completing the survey about our reopening plan and giving us feedback and input to assist us in finalizing our planning. Safety is our priority and we are committed to creating the safest environment possible for students and staff.
- 97% of respondents were in support of four of the six questions
- 94% supported our plan to maintain distancing and prevent overcrowding in the restrooms. We initially were planning to close the middle sink in restrooms for distancing but you felt that the sink should remain open to encourage and promote hand washing.
- 91% supported our lunch plan but expressed concern over lunch (students will be able to go outside after eating) The other concern was students sitting at a table alone at lunch and we have adjusted this to two students per table.
I want to encourage you to begin the year with a positive attitude and a commitment to dream big and fly high! This year may present challenges but together we will make this a great year.
Welcome to our new Phoenix Family members. Information for both NEW face-to-face Student Orientation and VIA Student Orientation is included in this edition.
I want you to have all of the resources to be informed. I am a phone call away and am happy to answer any questions as well.
- Reopening Plan - we made adjustments based on your feedback from our Parent/Student/Teacher surveys. Thank you for your input.
- Campus Map/Transportation Map
- Bus Transportation Information - All bus riders 6-12 will ride their assigned bus to their zoned junior high school. A transfer bus will bring them from their zoned junior high to DTSOI and the process is reversed in the afternoon. DTSOI staff will be at the junior high schools during the first week of school to assist your student in the mornings and afternoons.
- Student Schedule Information
- School Supply List
- Face-to-Face Back to School Info Center
- VIA Back to School Info Center
Face-to-Face NEW Student Orientation
Sign up for a day and time for your New Student Orientation by clicking here.
As we continue to prepare for the opening of school on 8/24, we wanted to share with you and your student his/her schedule of classes for next year.
Please check with your student as all students will receive an email tonight prompting them to open Home Access Center (HAC) in order to see their schedules. If your student does not remember how to sign into HAC, please see the attached directions.
The following information was shared with students as well:
- Schedules for face to face students should be complete. Blended and virtual students may still be getting schedules depending on where we are in processing your change of placement. If you are blended or virtual and do not believe the schedule you see in HAC is correct, please allow us the coming week to finalize your schedule before contacting your counselor.
- At this time we are not changing any courses/classes on student schedules. If you see a course that you do not believe you signed up for or would like to change, counselors will be visiting CCR classes during the first week of school to address any changes. Until then, beginning the first day of school, please attend all classes as they read on your schedule.
- If you have "holes" in your schedule, meaning you do not have a class scheduled for a given period, please email your grade level counselor. Counselors will fill holes in your schedule so you have a complete schedule with 8 classes to begin the school year.
- HAC on Thursday evening, August 13 at 4:00pm to deploy a software update. The system down duration is approx 48 hours.
- If after following the steps in the attachment you still have issues getting in to HAC, please do not call or email the school. Instead, complete this form and a staff member will email you back. Issues will be addressed by email in the order of form submissions.
Please update your student's demographic and health information. If you are new to the Springdale School District and recently completed enrollment documents you do NOT need to complete this task.
Northwest Arkansas Community College Students
- Fall tuition is due on or before August 24, 2020 - classes begin this day.
- Nonpayment for tuition will result in being dropped from the class on August 24, 2020.
- We cannot grant a payment extension for tuition.
- Online payment can be accessed HERE
Administrative Team Assignments for 2020-2021
- Tom Doppe - Grades 7, 9, & 11
- Amy Harrison - Grades 10 & 12
- Shay Hopper - Virtual Innovation Academy Students
- Aurelian Sennett - Grades 6 & 8