September 16, 2022
We are already one month into school and it has been a great school year so far! The return to 'normalcy' has been wonderful.
The return of Friday Sing Along has been wonderful, please be sure to join us if you can. We sing every Friday morning from 7:50 to 8:05!
A quick reminder that toys and Pokemon cards need to stay home as they cause many disruptions to learning. Please make sure your child leaves those items at home.
We are looking for more volunteers for our parent group, Friends of Gastineau School (FOGS). FOGS focuses on fundraising for special programs that benefit the school while building its community. Please contact me if you are interested.
Have a wonderful weekend!
The Juneau Public Library Bookmark Contest has begun and runs through October 15th. This year’s theme is ‘Find Your Voice’. Students from pre-K through 12th grade will participate throughout the Juneau School District by drawing and entering hundreds of fun and creative bookmarks to incentivize reading and libraries. Students at our school will have an option to draw bookmarks for the contest during their weekly visits to our library this month.
District bookmark winners will be selected at the end of October. Prizes include Hearthside Books and Friends of the Library gift certificates for district 1st place and honorable mention winners. Winning bookmarks will be printed and distributed to the winners and available at school and public libraries too! All district bookmarks entered will be displayed at the public libraries during the month of November. Our school bookmarks will be at the Douglas Library.
We are scheduled to open our Scholastic Book Fair in the library on October 6! Please consider volunteering to help set up on October 5 and/or during your child’s library class during the week of book fair. All volunteers will receive $5 gift certificates for books for each hour they volunteer. Please email Ms. Ferguson and/or Ms. Brann or call 907-796-5038 to sign up for a volunteer slot!
Remember reading is FUNdamental!
Welcome, Ms. Stockton
Ms. Stockton is our new 4th grade teacher. There's nothing like jumping into your first year of teaching a few weeks into the start of the school year!
- I am from Juneau and have lived about half of my life here moving between Juneau and Palmer several times.
- This is my first year teaching and first year at Sayéik Gastineau. I am finishing up my Masters of Teaching in elementary education at UAS.
- My favorite thing about my job is helping students set goals and work towards them. An added bonus is the hilarious things the kids say.
- For fun I like to spend my time enjoying Alaska's great outdoors, whether it’s hiking with my dog, skiing, paddle boarding, biking, hunting, or fishing, time spent outdoors in nature is always enjoyable.
- Something you may not know about me is I worked for the Juneau pools as a lifeguard and teaching swim lessons for several years while getting my Bachelor's Degree in Biology from UAS.
3rd Graders Skate for Free
Fred Meyer Community Rewards
Help Sayéik Gastineau raise funds through Fred Meyer's Community Rewards program. Link your Rewards Card to Friends of Gastineau School and Fred Meyer will make a donation based on a percentage of your spending to support our school.
- Site Council - Wednesday, September 21 5:00-6:00 PM on Zoom