THE FLIGHT RECORDER
Statesville Road Elementary's Weekly Staff Newsletter
Principal's Point to Ponder
Statesville Road is in a peculiar position. We are riding the wave of last year's success and perfecting our systems to ensure even greater success this year. At the same time, we are considering implementing the Opportunity Culture initiative for next school year. As we consider the feedback from our teams and weigh the pros and cons of this decision, we should all be reminded that we have an awesome opportunity each and every day we walk into this building. Regardless of how we choose to proceed, our current situation embodies a 'culture of opportunity' in that we have the power within us to work in such a way that will make a difference -- with or without Opportunity Culture positions. The opportunity will be fulfilled through the work of our hands. The way we choose to show up each day, the way we choose to plan, the way we choose to teach, the way we choose to engage, the way we choose to serve, the way we choose to love...all are daily opportunities to transform kids' lives. So I urge each of us not to wait for Opportunity Culture to come to us. Instead let's take advantage of the culture of opportunity we have before us every day....for every child....for a better Statesville Road.
Instructional Strategy of the Week
The third grade team uses an effective strategy for students to review the common assessment. Each student completes an individual analysis of their incorrect responses from the common assessment. Students are asked to identify the reason they missed the test item (misconception) and are asked to identify what they learned from correcting their mistake. What a great way for students to take ownership of their learning and to improve their meta cognitive skills! This strategy for review is also individualized and targeted as it is based on what each student needs to review.
Kudos / General Reminders / Agreements
- Kudos to Abdel-Hameed for organizing last week's Hispanic parent meeting. The topic was healthy eating and information was shared about our school instructional programs.
- Kudos to Turner for volunteering her time to translate at the Hispanic parent meetings and in various other capacities.
- Kudos to Norvell and Lee for serving as coaches for the upcoming Statesville Road cheer leading squad.
- Kudos to Stackhouse and Jones for exuding positive energy as our stand in morning news show reporters!
- Kudos to E. Taylor, Carter, Allen, Norvell, and Grant for agreeing to work with our 3rd graders in the 21st Century after school program. Your dedication to this program will push our 3rd graders towards proficiency on the EOG!
- Multi- Week Intervention plans: All teachers should have multi week intervention plans based on the data from common assessment #2 uploaded in your google drive folder by Wednesday, November 19th. Instruction based on your new intervention plans should begin by November 19th. (Earier is better, but I want to give you a week to establish your plans.) You do have the option to produce your intervention plans one week at a time, but plans must be based on standards from common assessment #2 that the data says need to be addressed.
- Individual Teacher Data Meetings: Please follow the schedule for individual teacher data meetings that was emailed on Friday, November 14th.
- Think Tanks: Please take a moment to sign up for Think Tanks for this year. The sign up sheets will be posted on the cabinet in the work room. Some of your names will already be assigned to a Think Tank based on your role on your team. Think Tanks will meet on Wednesday.
- Tuesday Folder: Please send home the following items in the Tuesday Folder: school newsletter, Hornets flyer, and Grits for Grandparents flyer. All items will be in your boxes on Monday.
Monday, November 17, 2014 (Day 3)
- 7:55am : Monday Meeting (bring your class to the multi-purpose room)
- Happy Monday!
Tuesday, November 18, 2014 (Day 4)
- Happy Tuesday
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 (Day 5)
- 7:30am: TAs meet with Walser in the NEST
- 3:30pm: Think Tank Staff Meeting (please meet in the media center first)
Thursday, November 20, 2014 (Day 1)
- Spelling Bee
Friday, November 21, 2014 (Day 2)
- 8:00am - 8:30am: REAL MEAN READ
- Make up picture day - refer to email sent by Lungarini on 11-14-14