FOR EDUCATION PROFESSIONALS
Mastering the Art & Craft of Facilitating Learning Spaces
Professional Development of Educators
Explore and expand the professional development of higher education teachers / lecturers to increase the creativity and innovation of learners through the facilitation of learning spaces. Through imaginative interpretation, “hacking” and creative application of your curriculum, new pedagogical and methodological processes will be explored which will challenge and update the elementary approach to learning and content delivery.
The world is changing, and it is no longer sufficient to graduate your students with a single discipline without a working understanding of the leadership and management skills essential for working with creative and innovative processes and (multi-disciplinary) teams within that discipline’s industry and beyond. This program will empower you to create and lead the frames and spaces to heighten the awareness and practice around these core personal competencies.
The Art and Craft of Facilitating Learning Spaces Seminar will introduce, explore and train participants in experiential learning and teaching and the art of facilitation & curatorial learning processes, strategies and safe spaces.
Participants will be introduced to the unique ‘opportunity based pedagogy’ of the Kaospilots, which has been developed over 20 years from working with young dynamic learners & leaders and by exploring the potential in transformational and empowering education.
BusinessWeek has recognized The Kaospilots as one of the best design schools in the world, and Fast Company has named it in its Startup Leagues Big 10, preparing you for the fast moving startup economy.
Seminar Outcomes & Take Aways
- Learn about team-based pedagogy, group dynamics and team building methods to establish strong peer-to-peer and shared learning environments.
- Learn how to design, lead and facilitate learning spaces, learning experiences and strategies and how to establish the correct frames that promote “multiple pathways to learning so that all students are engaged and successful”.
- Learn how to run creative processes, exploring ideas and innovation using effective and fun brainstorming techniques, rapid prototyping and working with problem solving through design thinking practices.
- Learn about the hidden potential in practical and class-team work for the development of intra & interpersonal student skills such as personal expression and values, leadership, collaboration etc. and how to integrate them into curriculum design, daily lesson plans, and a classroom environment which promotes stretch zones, risk taking, creativity and reflection.
- Learn the importance of open dialogue with your students around proactive planning and learning agreements, supporting personal educational commitment.
A Unique Experience for Educators
- Explore the potential in the roles of the learner, the educator, the learning experience and how to encourage the students to take initiative, responsibility for their own learning, and to self evaluate.
- Experience in creative, experimental and active learning as well as how to design lessons for individual and collaborative creative practice that promotes problem solving, curiosity, lateral thinking, leadership and taking action within a class culture.
- Gain new ideas and perspectives that will challenge traditional beliefs & assumptions about learning and student teacher learning partnerships and agreements.
- Gain an understanding of the vocabulary of opportunity-based pedagogy, its theory and the nature of its use and implementation through the design thinking process, theory and practice.
- Know how to kick-start and anchor the ability within students and the class as a team to grow and strengthen their professional mindset, ambition, creativity and leadership skills as part of their education.
- Knowledge of informal and formal learning processes such as project work, scenarios, role plays, talk-shops, open space, peer to peer, dialogue, feedback and listening tools, offering alternative ways of working with assessment, learning, feedback and planning.
- Develop a scalable and scripted two-day lesson plan and strategy that will anchor and support the basic principles of facilitative opportunity-based learning within your students.
Who will attend the seminar
- A progressive learning institution that wishes to provide the opportunity, time & space for teachers to think, explore and experiment with alternative, participatory and action based learning methods.
- A learning institution in need of systemic innovation, where this course can emphasise the extent to which new methodology can catalyse a giant leap forward in approaches to pedagogy and in shaping a new paradigm.
- A teacher/educator/education manager or planner who sees the need to investigate and expand on their professional development for the purpose of activating the creativity and self-motivation of learners and the learning spaces where it can flourish.
- Educators who are willing and open to change their current practices and who see the potential and opportunities for increasing awareness of alternative teaching styles and education design in their practice.
What Participants Say?
"What a great experience! The facilitator used smart techniques to guide us through the education design process. In particular, the 'learning spaces' concept opened up my mind. I am inspired to adopt a similar education in Albania"
Elsi Rizvanolli, Executive Director, Akademia e Pilotëve, Albania
The course The Art & Craft of Facilitating Learning Spaces is an inspiring experience that helps the participants to think differently about teaching. Even for people with a lot of experience in coaching and facitlitation this course offers new perspectives and the unique Kaos Pilots attitude. I loved the combination of hands-on practice and elaborate theory. I am very happy to have attended this course! My students at the HTW Berlin will highly benefit from this new approach and I will enjoy trying out new things. Thanks to Simon for the wonderful hosting and thanks to the great participants.
Dr. Moritz Gekeler, Lecturer HTW Berlin, Germany
"I am absolutely convinced that the Kaos Pilot's educational model is in the right track for the construction of both, a new society and economy, because the course not only provides the foundations for understanding a more efficient way of learning, but also encompasses a human centered approach in which values, practices and knowledge are merged. As a result, this course fosters the engagement and the sense of ownership in learning, and furthermore, creates qualified happy people".
Gabriel Hernández Martrou. Doctoral researcher in design education, Lancaster University UK.
Pilots and Co-Pilots
The Kaospilots is a hybrid business and design school, a multi-sided education in leadership and entrepreneurship. Our teaching programmes are not designed simply to shape students to fit the future, but to help them create it.
International Head of Kaos, KaosPilots
Keynote Speaker & Lead Facilitator
SCOPE GROUP is an innovation agency and impact advisory that works at the intersection between mission and money to create new sustainable value.
Scope Group is proud to be the Asian partner of KaosPilots.