Live Oak Weekly Newsletter
Oct. 15-19, 2018
CONGRATULATIONS, RAFAELA MARTINS FRAJNDLICH
A huge congratulations to Rafaela for winning the BVAL West Valley Division Individual Championship last Friday! Rafaela is currently 12-0 on the season and will compete for a CCS berth and overall BVAL Championship on Tuesday and Wednesday (10/30 & 10/31) at Leland High School. Good luck, Rafaela!
Saturday, Oct. 20th, 5pm-1am
1398 The Embarcadero
San Francisco, CA
This event is Sold Out!
The San Francisco Bay Cruise will be held on Saturday, October 20th. If you are attending, check-in at Live Oak High School is at 5pm and tacos will be served. First come, first served. Busses leave at 5:30pm for San Francisco and return at 1am. Questions? See Pam at the ASB Office.
CANCER AWARENESS WEEK – OCT 22-26
Show your spirit and dress the color to show your support of Cancer Awareness Week! We will have lunch time music in the quad.
Monday 10/22: Brain Cancer wear grey
Tuesday 10/23: Lung Cancer wear white
Wednesday10/ 24: Prostate Cancer wear light blue
Thursday 10/25: Leukemia wear orange
Friday 10/26: Breast cancer wear Pink
CLUB FOOD DAY – OCT 24
RESTAURANT NIGHT @ THE CITY FISH
Tuesday, Oct. 30th, 4-9pm
16125 Monterey Street
Morgan Hill, CA
Support LO Athletics by enjoying dinner at City Fish (16125 Monterey St, Morgan Hill) on Tuesday, Oct. 20 from 4pm-9pm. A percentage of your bill will be donated back to the LO athletics program. Thank you for your support!
POINSETTIAS FOR SALE – NOW thru NOV 9
Get a head start on your holiday decorating with gorgeous poinsettias direct from Headstart Nursery’s greenhouses! These beautiful, vibrant poinsettias are the easiest way to get your home or business ready for the holiday season. They also make wonderful gifts. Click here for an order form or click here for a form for multiple orders. Plants are available for a just $11 per plant or a special discounted rate of $60 per case of 6 plants. Poinsettias are a deep red color. Plants are grown in 6½” pots with festive red pot covers and are sleeved for protection during shipment. Please plan to pick up poinsettias on Wednesday, November 28, 2018. If you order at least 2 cases, we can deliver them to you. All proceeds benefit Live Oak High School Home & School Club (HSC). Click here for more information. The HSC raises funds to help pay for programs and equipment which will in turn improve your child’s educational experience.
SHAKESPEARE’S A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM – OCT 26, 27, NOV 2, 3, 9, 10
The Live Oak Drama Guild presents: Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Performances will be held on Oct 26 & 27, Nov 2, 3, 9, and 10, all at 8pm. This is Shakespeare's most popular comedy. On a Midsummer’s night, four young lovers find themselves wrapped in the dream-like arms of an enchanted forest where sprites lurk and fairies rule. While a feuding Fairy King and Queen are at war, their paths are crossed by Bottom, Quince and their friends presenting a play within a play. Chief mischief-maker Puck is on-hand to ensure that the course of true love is anything but smooth, and games of fantasy, love and dreams ensue in Shakespeare’s most beguiling comedy. Tickets can be purchased on the LO Drama Guild web site. Questions? Contact Andrew Cummings at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LIVE OAK FAMILIES, WE NEED YOUR INPUT – NOV 8
Live Oak Families, we need your input! Live Oak is working on a self-study as part of our accreditation renewal. Input from parents and families is critical to this process! Please join us for Coffee with the Principal before the Home and School Club meeting on November 8, 2018. Coffee and treats will be available in the Library beginning at 8:00am, so please park in the visitor lot and join us after student drop-off. Home and School Club meeting will begin promptly at 8:45am.
2nd ANNUAL STAND UP FOR SPORTS FUNDRAISER
Friday, Nov. 30th, 6-10pm
17440 Monterey Street
Morgan Hill, CA
The Live Oak Athletic Boosters are in full swing planning our 2nd annual Stand up for Sports fundraiser. The Dinner & Comedy Show will be Friday, November 30th, 6-10pm at the Granada Theater. Please email Kristen Schoepe at email@example.com if you are able to donate any items or experiences to this event, or to become a corporate sponsor. Limited amount of tickets still available!! Cost is $45 a ticket. The proceeds benefit Live Oak Athletics. Thank you for your support!
JUNIORS & SENIORS: IMPORTANT DATES FOR COLLEGE ENTRANCE EXAMS
Oct 24 – Late Registration Deadline for Nov 3 SAT Exam: It is not too late to register for the Nov 3rd exam. The late registration deadline for mailed registrations is Oct. 16, and for online or phone registrations is Oct. 24. For more information, go to the SAT web site.
Oct 27 – ACT Exam: If you are registered for this exam, continue studying and preparing for this exam. Click here go to the ACT web site for practice tests and questions.
NEWS FOR SENIORS AND THEIR PARENTS
· Cash for College, Oct 16: Cal-SOAP and the counseling team are hosting a Cash for College event 6:00pm in the LO Library. Come receive individual assistance filing out the FAFSA or the Dream Act.
· Out of State College Fair, Oct 18: 2pm -4pm LO Small Gym
· Herff Jones to visit students, Oct 23: A representative from Herff Jones will be on campus Tuesday, Oct. 23, to visit seniors in their classrooms and discuss the process for ordering graduation announcements, senior rings, and caps and gowns.
· Herff Jones in LO Library, Oct. 30, 31: A representative from Herff Jones will be in the LO Library on Oct 30 and 31 to take orders and answer any questions regarding the graduation announcements, senior rings, and caps and gowns.
· Deadline for The Common Scholarship Application, Nov 16: Once submitted, this LO High School application automatically makes you a candidate for many local scholarships without the need to apply for each individually. Click here for the application which will also be available on Naviance. For more information see Arron Thomas at the Counseling and Career Center.
· Yearbook Ads, deadline is Dec 19: Parents, design your Senior Tribute Advertisements for the yearbook NOW! Deadline to submit your ad is Dec 19. Go to http://www.yearbookordercenter.com/ to create your senior ad. Our school code is “7674”.
· College Visits: There are several college visits coming up (see below). Seniors must sign up before the deadline using Naviance.
NEWS FROM THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT
· Athletes Signing Up for Winter Sports: Please register online at http://www.athleticclearance.com Once you log in, you will have access to the forms you need to get clearance for participation in sports at Live Oak. The forms include the Athletic Participation Form, Concussion Form, and Sudden Cardiac Arrest Form.
· October Athletic Activities: Click here or go to our web site for a listing of this month’s sporting events.
COLLEGE & CAREER CENTER NEWS
· Tutoring, Monday thru Friday: Free tutoring is offered to all students in all subjects at the College & Career Center. Tutors are available Monday thru Thursday 7:40am-8:05am, during brunch during lunch (except Tuesdays), and 3:15pm-4:30pm. Tutors are available on f Fridays by appointment only.
· College Visits at Live Oak: Seniors: the following are colleges that will have representatives at Live Oak. Please sign up to attend using Naviance:
COLLEGE -- DATE/TIME -- SIGNUP BY
US Navy -- Oct 23, 9:12am -- Oct 17
ASVAB Testing -- Oct 25, 8:10am -- Oct 22
San Jose State University -- Oct 25, 1:10pm -- Oct 15
UC Santa Barbara -- Oct 26, 9:12am -- Oct 16
University of the Pacific -- -Nov 1, 1:10pm -- Oct 22