Weeks of December 14, 2015 & December 23, 2015
I truly enjoyed meting and speaking with each of you during Parent Conferences! We make an awesome team and I am so glad I am able to share in your child's learning experience.
The past 2 week's have been very busy for 2MU as I am sure it has been for your. Read on to discover all of our wonderful learning activities.
- We read Hansel and Gretel and wrote a Beginning, Middle, and End story summary.
- To go along with the story, we created our very own Gingerbread houses out of milk cartons and foam stickers. Check out our creations below.
- We read The Fisherman and His Wife. The moral of the story is to be thankful for what you have. The children wrote a literature response to the question
Golden fish from the sea,
Golden fish, please come to me.
I would like a special wish,
Will you grant it, golden fish?
The children then wrote their one wish. Be sure to check out our classroom bulletin board to see their wishes.
- We read Cinder-Elly...a funny rhyming version of Cinderella.
- As a culminating activity for Cinderella, we joined the other 2 second grade classes to watch the Disney Cinderella movie
- We used data record keeping charts while collecting data for our Lab Reports. The charts helped us present our results like real scientists and helped us keep our results organized.
- During Writers' Workshop, the children worked on writing their own personal version of Cinderella. The stories were very creative. Be sure to have your child share their story with you.
- During Math these past 2 weeks, we began Unit 4 learning about time as well as a.m. and p.m.
- We read the Jolly Postman and tracked his mail route by calculating the total miles he traveled.
- The children drew a Cinderella Symbol to depict their one prominent symbol that represents Cinderella to them. For example, a glass slipper, a mouse, a pumpkin, or a magical wand.
- We earned a Reading Retreat! Way to go 2MU!
- We attended the Blue Ribbon Ceremony ~ Guest Presenter: Congressman Norcross!
- We met with our 4L buddies to make cards for Sa'Fyre Terry~ an 8 year old girl was burned in a tragic fire. Her Christmas wish was to receive as many cards as possible from around the world. We were happy to help fulfill her wish! (Please note~ we did not share this story with the children~ just explained we were making cards for a girl who was less fortunate than us.)
- We watched the Cinderella Movie with our Second Grade Friends from 2G and 2M