COVID Update 3
Tauranga Primary School Pānui (Newsletter)
Ngā mihi nui, ki a koutou katoa
Warm greetings to you all.
I hope you are all well in your bubbles and you have been able to enjoy some quality time with your family. To those TPS parents who are essential workers, thank you very much for all you are doing to keep our city safe and ensuring that we are all able to access essential services in Level 4.
TPS Distance Learning is fully up and running for every class/hub now. Seesaw and email are essential to access this learning model, please let your class teacher know if you have any concerns or questions. The teachers have worked hard to create a variety of fun ways for our learners to learn and connect with their teacher(s). We know how important it is to keep up a connection with our learners and responding to Seesaw posts is a priority for the teachers.
If online learning is not working for your family, don't worry, go with whatever works for you. Persisting with something that causes stress or anxiety will not help your child's learning or wellbeing, it is far better to stop and do something that brings joy and is fun. Find things that work for you and go with it. We understand that some families have both parents working, and engaging in the distance learning programme is impossible.
If the online Distance Learning is not working for your family - try working your way through this list over the week:
- Read with or to your child as often as you can.
- Play games (eg cards, snakes and ladders etc)
- Talk often and discover the world around you - notice your environment, describe things, count things, wonder why e.g. Why is the sky blue? etc.
- Exercise - go for walks and bike rides, kick a ball around etc.
- Cook and eat together
- Be creative: - e.g. get a box the next time you're at the supermarket. How many things can you make out of it or how many different ways can you play a game with it?
Tomorrow we will know whether we will remain in Alert Level 4 or when we will move to Alert Level 3.
If the Alert Levels change tomorrow, we will communicate any additional detail regarding criteria for schooling in Level 3. We anticipate that most TPS children will remain at home in Alert Level 3 and will continue with the Distance Learning Programme.
Level 3 Bubble School:
We are preparing for the transition into Level 3, whenever that may be. If you are an essential worker and will need your child(ren) to attend TPS Bubble School in Level 3 please complete this registration form below. We are keen to play our part and support those parents who unable to work from home.
Level 3 Bubble School is not regular school. We will follow strict Ministry of Education and Health guidelines to ensure the safety of everyone onsite. We will operate with a skeleton staff onsite and the remainder of the TPS staff will be running the distance learning from home.
The classes will be smaller, multi-level classes (to accomodate family groups). The children at bubble school will not necessarily be in their normal class or with their regular teacher. The children will work on the Distance Learning programme when they are at school, with some support from a teacher.
There will be strict start and stop times, with no before or after school care (hours of operation will be between 8:45am and 3:00pm). School staff will only be onsite from 8:30am until 3:15pm.
Home Learning TV
TVNZ and the Ministry of Education NZ have started up Home Learning TV, on Duke +1, from 9:00am until 1:00pm.
You'll find brand new Junior Science and Maths programmes, along with Karen's House and our favourite Suzy Cato. All the amazing kaiako from around Aotearoa will have loads of fun activities for you to try at home.
Duke +1 (Freeview channel 18 and Sky channel 504) and you'll also find heaps of HLTV content on TVNZ OnDemand.
Exciting news - Nanogirl’s Lab – online STEM superhero training programme - is now free for everyone!
Every STEM activity is designed to only use equipment that you’ve got at home and comes with a downloadable worksheet for your child and a cheat sheet for the grown-ups!
Check out all 50 of our Nanogirl’s Lab activities at:
Reports and Learning Conferences:
At this time teachers would normally be carrying out assessments and writing reports in preparation for the Learning Conferences in September. As we are unable to complete the necessary assessments with children, we are postponing the Reports and Learning Conferences until early Term 4. Specific dates and details will be shared once we have some certainty of when we will be in Alert Level 2 or 1.
- Choir festival has been postponed to the 18th November . This does clash with Year 4 camp so we will need to coordinate both events accordingly.
- ICAS assessments - as yet we have not been notified about how these will be arranged, we will let you know as soon as we know.
- FOTS Pizza lunch that was planned for last Friday. We will postpone this event. All orders and payments will be held for this event.
- Teacher Only Day that was planned for this Friday is postponed.
- Teachers will regularly check email and seesaw posts between 9:00am - 3:00pm, Monday to Friday
As always, thank you for your continued support. Please let us know if you need any help or assistance.
Hei kōnei rā
Principal | Tumuaki
- Mental Health Crisis: 0800 800 717
- Lifeline for counselling and support: 0800 543 354 or 0800 LIFELINE
- Samaritans for confidential support for anyone who is lonely or in emotional distress: 0800 726 666
- Depression Helpline to talk to a trained counsellor about how you are feeling or to ask any questions: 0800 111 757 or free text 4206
- Healthline for advice from trained registered nurses: 0800 611 116
- Suicide Prevention Helpline: 0508 828 865
- Counselling Free Call or Text 1737.
- Family Services 211 Helpline for help finding and direct transfer to community-based health and social support services in your area: 0800 211 211
- Family Services Directory online
- Unite Against COVID-19: Family and sexual violence prevention for help and support if you’re experiencing family violence or sexual violence.
A few special lockdown moments from Room 13:
The school grounds are closed in Alert Level 4
Our school site and playgrounds are closed whilst school is in Lockdown Level 4.
Please do not come to school during the Lockdown period.
- Week 5 23rd AUGUST - Level 4 - Distance Learning commences
- 13 - 17 September - Maori Language Week
- 14 September - 6:00 -7:00pm Structured Literacy Whānau Information Evening
- 14 September - Board of Trustees Meeting- Staffroom, 7:00pm
- 20 September - Photolife - Class and Individual photos
- 20 - 26 September - Chinese Language Week
- 20, 21, 22 September - Chuseok - Korean thanksgiving
- 22 September - International Students' Learning Conferences
- 22 and 23 September - Learning Conferences
- 30 September - FOTS Disco
- 1 October - Last day of term- school finishes at 3:00pm
Thank you to the following businesses that support TPS:
Junior Team Leader
Middle Team Leader
Senior Team Leader
International Student enquiries
Administration & Enrolment Officer