Colts Express News
January 16, 2019
- Special Olympics Fundraiser: Springfield Elementary and other schools in the Fort Mill School District are partnering with the Fort Mill and Tega Cay Police Departments to raise money for the Special Olympics! For schools that reach their donation goals, administrators from across the district will take a "Polar Plunge" into the pool at the Baxter YMCA on February 9! During the week of January 28th-February 1st, homeroom teachers will be collecting donations. The class that collects the most money at the end of the week will win an ice cream sundae party! If we reach our goal of $2000, Mr. Olinger will participate in the Polar Plunge! If we collect $2500, Mrs. Baird and Mrs. Marsters will join in on the "Polar Plunge" as well! On the final day of this fundraiser, February 1st, students that bring a donation of $1 will be able to wear pajamas to school! We are excited to raise money for this great organization!
- One School, One Book: We will kick off our 4th annual "One School, One Book" event at a student assembly tomorrow morning. We are providing one book per household for families. The youngest child in the household will be the one receiving the book tomorrow.
- Literacy Night: We will have a literacy night on February 5 to conclude "One School, One Book" from 5:45-8:00 pm. Literacy night will include a presentation from author Floyd Cooper, along with a book fair, gallery walk of students’ writing, and a scavenger hunt around the school. You should have received a flyer in yesterday's Tuesday folder as well as an email from your child's teacher with further information.
- Smart Watches: Since the holiday break, we have had an increase in students using smart watches. I wanted to remind everyone that watches that have any phone capabilities should have the phone capabilities turned off during the school day. Cell phones are required to be turned off and are supposed to remain in student's book bags during the school day. If a watch is going to be used as a phone, it will also have to be kept in the student's book bag. We've already had several classes disrupted with watches ringing during the school day. If you have a child with a smart watch, please speak with them about keeping the phone capabilities turned off. We appreciate your help!
- Morning Drop Off and Traffic: We have had an increase in students being tardy since the holiday break. Recently, we have had about 25% of our car riders dropping off before 7:25 am and 75% of our car riders dropping off after 7:25 am. This increase of later arrivals is causing a backup prior to the start of school at 7:40 am. Our enrollment has been fluctuating within 10 students or so, but we have not had a major increase in students since the first month of the school year. The recent backup of traffic is not due to an increase in enrollment, but due to an increase in cars coming later towards the end of the drop off time. If you want to avoid the heavy drop off traffic time and make sure your child arrives to school on time, we recommend coming between 7:15-7:25 am. This is when our car rider line has the least amount of traffic.
- Foundation of Fort Mill Schools Chili Cook-Off: Springfield Elementary will be participating in the Foundation's Chili Cook-Off on Saturday, January 26, from 11:00-1:00pm at NFHS. Proceeds go directly to the Foundation which provides school supplies for students in need, grants to teachers and administrators in the district, and college scholarships to high school graduates from the district. Springfield Elementary has had many teachers and administrators receive thousands of dollars worth of grant money from the Foundation over the years to support our school and classroom projects. We would love to see you there if you want to test some great chili and support our school and district!
Upcoming Important Dates
- January 17: "One School, One Book" Kick-Off
- January 18: Weather Make-up day. This is an early release day for students. Students will be dismissed at 11:00 am.
- January 21: Martin Luther King Day - No School
- January 23: Spirit Night at Panera in Kingsley 4-8 pm
- January 25: Box Tops are due
- January 26: Chili Cook-Off Sponsored by the Foundation of Fort Mill School at NFHS from 11-1
- February 5: Literacy Night 5:45-8:00 pm
Springfield Elementary School
Click on the SES button to be redirected to our school website for additional information.