How horrible is Syphilis???
its pretty bad.
What is an STD?
What is Syphilis?
Syphilis is a sexually transmitted disease caused by the spirochete Treponema pallidum. This bacteria causes an infection when it gets into broken skin or mucus membranes, usually of the genitals. It can be transmitted when an infected person comes into contact with another uninfected person’s vagina, penis, anus or mouth. Syphilis can be cured with antibiotics, but if left untreated, can cause brain damage and even death. Young adults ages 15 - 25 are the highest-risk population.
The 3 Stages of syphilis symptoms....
Primary Stage — A few of one painless sore or open, wet ulcer, which is called a chancre appears. Chancres usually appear about three weeks after the infection, but may take up to 90 days. Without treatment they last 3–6 weeks. Chancres can appear on the genitals, in the vagina, on the cervix, lips, mouth, breasts, or anus. You glands might also become swollen.
Secondary Stage — Other symptoms often appear 3–6 weeks after the sores appear. These syphilis symptoms may come and go for up to two years. It also includes body rashes that last 2–6 weeks often on the palms of your hands and the soles of your feet. There are many other symptoms including mild fever, fatigue, sore throat, hair loss, weight loss, swollen glands, headache, and muscle pain.
Latent Syphilis — If you arent teated for syphilis, the disease moves from the secondary to the latent (hidden) stage, when you have no symptoms. The latent stage can last for years. Signs and symptoms may never return or the disease may progress to the tertiary stage.
Late Stage — One out of three people who have syphilis that is not treated suffer serious damage to the nervous system, heart, brain, or other organs, and death may result. This can occur 1–20 years after the start of the infection.
Congenital Stage — Babies born to women who have syphilis can become infected through the placenta or durring birth. Most newborns with congential syphilis have no symptoms even though some people experience a rash on the palm of their hands and the soles of there feet. Later symptoms may include deafness, teeth deformities and saddle nose which is when the bridge of the nose collapses.
- Syphilis is highly contageous.
- Syphilis is easy to cure in its early stages.
- Pregnant women should be tested regularly for syphilis because infection with syphilis can cause serious problems with the baby.
- Can be diagnosed in a blood test.
- It is spread with all sexual contact.
- Without treatment the syphilis sore can last 3-6 weeks.
- Can be treated with penicillin and other antibiotics.
- After the initial infection the syphilis bacteria can lie dormant in your body for decades before becoming active again.
- The genital sores associated with syphilis can make it easier to become infected with HIV.