December 25th - January 5th
Monday, December 25th - Friday, January 5th
- No School--Winter Break
Monday, January 15th
- No School--Martin Luther King Day
Wednesday, January 17th
- Harper PTO meeting, 9:00 am
- D39 Education Foundation Meeting, MEC, 7-8 pm
Thursday, January 18th
- Kindergarten Enrollment 2018-2019 school year, Harper lobby 9:30 am-6:30 pm
- D39 Pass Meeting, Highcrest Middle School, 9:15-10:15 am
Friday, January 19th
- Kindergarten Enrollment 2018-2019 school year, Harper lobby 8:55 am-3:15 pm
Dr. Kick's Corner
-Harper students enjoyed Maker Day on Thursday! Students came to the Dolphin Den and enjoying five different winter "maker" activities. Check out the pictures on Harper's Twitter.
-Please note the Kindergarten Enrollment dates and times that are listed above. Students enrolled outside of these dates/times will not be a part of the am/pm lottery.
-Thank you for your warm clothing donations. The Harper community is a "giving village".
From the Harper Health Office
Please take a moment to check in with the health office web page for important updates regarding illness, vision and hearing screening, and 2nd grade dental exams:
Our students’ safety is a top concern—absence reporting plays a key role in this goal. FAQs about reporting absence or late arrival:
How do I report my child’s absence or late arrival?
Call the Harper safe phone/attendance line: 847-512-6250. Please leave your child’s name, grade, teacher, and the reason for the absence or late arrival.
I told my child’s teacher about the absence. Do I still need to call the safe phone?
Yes. Notifying your child’s teacher does not replace a call to the safe phone.
Do I need to call the safe phone if my child is leaving school early?
No. Early pickups need only be communicated to you child’s teacher.
Thank you for your continued cooperation!
- Not sure what Junior Great Books is or why you/your child might like it? I was like you last year! But then my friend convinced me to try it & even lead my daughter's group. It was a great chance for she and I to spend a bit more time together reading one classic story a week with great messages about responsibility, bravery, friendship... and then she was able to escape the cold & discuss it with her peers over lunch once a week (like a mini-book club for kids). I saw these stories come alive for her through thinking through the discussion questions, acting out some of the parts, and drawing scenes. I highly recommend signing up for JGB - but do it soon! Thanks, Kate Rivera. We have re-opened registration in case you missed it. Please register your child here!
- Are your daughters interested in Girls On the Run (girlsontherun.org)? If so, Harper needs 1 or 2 Third/Fourth Grade Mothers to volunteer to be the Site Coordinator(s). A bunch of parents are interested in volunteering and participating so you will have help (it runs 10 weeks, meeting 2x per week leading up to the run). However, if there is no Site Coordinator, we will miss the 12/30 deadline to enter for the Spring. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested! Side note: this does not fit under the PTO as it is an extracurricular activity.
Does your child have a January Birthday? Don't forget to sign up here for BIRTHDAY BOOKS! Kids love it and it's a great way to donate a new book to our beautiful library!
- Are you collecting Box Tops? Every Box Top is worth $0.10 for Harper. We raised about $250 this fall, but still have another collection at the end of February 2018. If every child at Harper collects and turns in 15 Box Tops, we can reach and potentially surpass our goal of raising $1000 for the school! Please see the attached list of participating products. Keep in mind when clipping that the expiration date must be visible and not expired. There is a collection box in the front entrance of Harper - purchase the product, clip the Box Top, check the expiration date, and turn in to the school. Thank you and keep on clipping!
- A wide variety of after school clubs are coming to Harper in January! Classes include Hip Hop, Minecraft Coding, Dodgeball, Chess Club and many more. Please see the attachment for detailed information on all the classes available. Register on the Wilmette Park District website until January 3rd. Hurry, some classes are already full!
- 1/16--High Touch High Tech visits 1st graders with their Weather or Not program
Thank you for your contributions to iGNITE!
- Link to community events:
- Wilmette Park District hosts after school clubs for students at Central, Harper, McKenzie January 9 - March 23. Registration began November 28th
MasterChef Junior is hosting open casting calls in Chicago on January 13th for children ages 8-13.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Adriane McKnight via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to email@example.com to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org