A Threat That Never Sleeps
What Is Identity Theft?
identity theft; plural noun: identity theft
The fraudulent acquisition and use of a person's private identifying information, usually for financial gain.
What Should I Look For To Prevent Identity Theft?
Be aware of
noun Software that is intended to damage or disable computers and computer systems.
noun The activity of defrauding an online account holder of financial information by posing as a legitimate company.
noun Software that enables a user to obtain covert information about another's computer activities by transmitting data covertly from their hard drive.
Facts About Identity Theft
- Over 9 million people in the US alone were victims of Identity Theft last year.
- Only 25% of people report Identity Theft.
- In 26% of the cases, the victim knew the culprit.
- The two safest web browsers are Thunderbird and Eudora.
- Internet Explorer, Hotmail, Outlook/Outlook Express, Gmail, Yahoo!mail are all unsafe email programs.
- You should reset your password every 6 months