Elijah of Buxton
Summary by: Ivan Hale
Cooter - Cooter is Elijah's best friend. He is just like Elijah except not as smart.
Elijah's Mom- Elijah's mom is the one that said Elijah was fragile. But Elijah doesn't like that because shes scared of frogs just like he is of snakes.
Elijah's Dad- Elijah's Dad is is a sort of lax person. He only gets mad at Elijah when Elijah's mom tells him too.
Preacher- The preacher is the man that started the settlement. He also has a mystery pistol, The mystery is how he got it.
Emma Collins- Emma Collins is the greeter of new slaves. This is her job because she is so fragile that she doesn't scare anyone.
Mawee- Mawee is a boy from the circus that the preacher stole cause he thought he was a slave
Hope Too-ma-ee-nee- This is a girl Elijah brought back to buxton after going to michigan. He brought her back because she was a slave baby.
- Elijah gets told that hoop snakes are in there settlement and finds out what the do to you.
- Elijah runs home screaming and his mom calls him fragile.
- Elijah goes to do his job for Mr. Seege And to get his fish bait (The horseflies from Mr. Seege's barn.
- Elijah goes to his secret pond to fish.
- The preacher sees Elijah and says he has a great talent.
- Preacher asks Elijah is he wants to help out the settlement.
- Elijah and The preacher go to the fair and watch a couple of shows.
- The preacher then goes talk to the manager and says elijah is a slave boy named ahbo.
- The manager asks to see Elijah's talents and they go to Madam Saber's tent.
- Elijah has a challenge with Madam Saber and wins.
- The preacher and manager start talking about the the amount of pay they would get.
- The preacher sees Mawee and realized that they are racist and leaves.
- Elijah helps Mr. Leroy with a sign he was making.
- Mr. Leroy gets paid 2000$ so he can buy his family back.
- The Preacher steals the money to go gamble.
- Mr. Leroy and Elijah go to get him.
- Mr. Leroy Dies and tells Elijah to Get the money or kill the Preacher.
- Elijah finds the Preacher Dead in a barn.
- There were 6 slaves there and the mother told him to bring her daughter to Canada to be free.
- Her Name was Hope To-ma-ee-nee and Elijah gave her the free speech.
Christopher Paul Curtis’ Biography.Christopher Paul Curtis.scholastic.2016. 4-29-16 <http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/contributor/christopher-paul-curtis>