John Jay HS/Science & Engineering Academy
HOW CAN I SEE THE COUNSELOR?
Students can see their counselor at the following times:
- Before school
- During their lunch
- After school
**For an immediate personal need and/or responsive services, students may be seen right away.**
Parents can call the Counseling Office (210)397-2732 to set up an appointment.
OUR COMPREHENSIVE COUNSELING PROGRAM PROVIDES:
- Individual Planning - Counselors meet one-on-one with students as they plan, monitor, and manage their own educational, career, and personal-social development.
- Responsive Services - Counselors assist students whose immediate personal concerns or problems put their continued personal-social, career, and/or educational development at risk. These services can be provided through individual or small group counseling.
- Guidance Curriculum - Guidance lessons are delivered in various classrooms throughout the year and are used to help students develop basic life skills.
- System Support - Counselors provide services in other areas which indirectly benefit students, such as consulting with teachers and attending counseling staff development.
HOW THE COUNSELORS HELPED IN DECEMBER
DECEMBER IN REVIEW
- District Magnet School Fair
- SEA Open House Nights
- 11th Grade Guidance Lessons - Understanding PSAT results
- Small Group Counseling sessions
- Responsive Services for students in crisis
Tier 3 Support for Intervention
Assisted with STAAR EOC administration
COURSE SELECTIONS FOR THE 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR
During the months of January & February, all 9th-11th grade students will meet with their counselor to pick out their course selections.
There will be information nights regarding Advanced Academics, Endorsements and an Elective Fair to help students & families decide on their courses. (see flyers below)
UPCOMING ASVAB DATES:
Tuesday, February 5
Wednesday, April 3
USE KHAN ACADEMY TO IMPROVE YOUR SCORES
College/Career/Military Shirt Day
Staff members are encouraged to participate with professional attire.
Interested in Small Group Counseling? Click below.
COLLEGE & CAREER CENTER
- The College & Career Center is a resource location designed to help our students and parents towards post-secondary success.
- Among many services offered at the College & Career Center, students and/or parents are able to:
- Receive information and/or register for the SAT or ACT
- Obtain current information about colleges, scholarships, military, & the workforce.
- Work on college and scholarship applications
- Participate in visits from various post-secondary programs (i.e. colleges, technical schools, military)
College & Career Center
Ms. Brandee Flores
Located in Room E104
Phone: (210) 397-2800
Remind: Text @brandeef to 81010
**Sign up for our Remind account to receive updates about scholarships, deadlines for applications, visiting colleges, and much more!**
UPCOMING SAT TEST DATES
San Antonio Education Partnership (SAEP)
- The San Antonio Education Partnership (SAEP) works closely with students to assist in the college application process and providing information on various scholarships in order to help students earn a college degree.
- A Success Advisor, Mozelle Moreno, is on campus from the SAEP who can assist students and parents on Thursdays in the College & Career Center (E104).
Café College is a resource available in downtown San Antonio at:
- 131 El Paso St. San Antonio, TX 78204
- Open Tuesday - Saturday
Café College can assist families with:
- College Admission Assistance
- Financial Aid Guidance
- Career Exploration
- College Applications
- SAT & SAT Preparation
Café College Resources
COMMUNITIES IN SCHOOLS
- Communities in Schools (CIS) can provide additional services to our students on campus in areas such as supportive guidance, academic assistance, help with basic needs, career awareness, enrichment activities, and parent and family engagement.
- You may reach CIS at (210) 397-2757 and they are located in room A121.