Kindergarten Knightly News
Learning, Loving, & Growing
Next week, our class will be celebrating Valentine's Day by working with describing words and learning about exclamation marks. We will be sorting sentences and coming up with our own. In social studies, we will be learning about the Statue of Liberty and the Liberty Bell. We will be doing online research and writing facts. Kindergarten will also begin practice on our Salute to America program.
What Happened This Week...
- Our class continued reading the chapter book My Father's Dragon. We read about how Elmer arrived on the island, only to be faced with a pack of tigers and an angry rhinoceros! We used our predicting skills to guess how Elmer might tackle each problem using the tools in his pack.
- We worked in a small group to play a shark subtraction game. We practiced taking away cubes from the bigger number and writing a number sentence. We also reviewed our addition skills and worked on fine motor by playing a game called "Feed the Frog".
- Our class painted valentine hearts using mixed media. We used watercolors to section off a piece of paper and the painted news print to create a heart.
- We investigated groundhogs and shadows. Our class read Groundhog Gets a Say and used an online research tool to discover facts about groundhogs. (Did you know a groundhog goes by three different names?!) We used the facts to do some shared writing and then created our own groundhogs. Using a flashlight, we made the groundhog's shadow. We explored how to make short or tall shadows and where the light had to be to make a shadow. We recorded our observations through illustrations.
- Our class learned about taking care of our teeth and what a dentist does. We used Legos and play-doh to model what happens when we eat food and then used string to practice flossing. We even got a visit from the tooth fairy to share with use good dental health practices! The tooth fairy sent a bag home with each child, so please check it out!
Things to Know
Testing for Gifted Placement
Salute to America
There will not be a Valentine's Day party at school, however, we will still enjoy passing out valentines to our friends and eating a special snack.
On February 12th, we will pass out valentines. Please remember to send your valentines and valentine boxes on February 11th! Thank you!
Spring conferences are set on an "as needed" basis. If you feel the need to discuss your child's progress, please contact me to set up a time. Thank you!
Sight Word Tip: Place tape on Legos and write sight words on the tape. As your child learns new words, add them to the Lego tower. See how tall you can make your tower! Review past words by reading the words at the bottom of the tower and reading your way up.