December 22, 2017
CALENDAR FOR WEEK OF JANUARY 1
Monday, January 1 - NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, January 2
Classes Resume - Winter Break is Over
Wednesday, January 3
Learning Lab, 3-4 pm, IMC
Thursday, January 4
Jazz Band/Chamber Orchestra, 6:50 - 7:30 am
Girls Basketball pictures at 3 pm
Friday, January 5
Saturday, January 6
NEISTA Honor Orchestra
Robotics Team to Denver Elementary School
CLICK HERE to download/print weekly student calendar
ATTENTION 8TH GRADE FAMILIES: WARRIOR EXPO 2018 - JANUARY 8 AT WASH
Come anytime from 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm (Wash Cafeteria). Students will be selecting their Fall 2018 classes in late January. This inaugural Expo is designed to better acquaint families (both current and prospective!) with the choices WHS has to offer for vocations, life skills, and fun! Project-Based Learning in Art, Science & Language Arts, College Credit Classes at WHS, Kirkwood Academies, Home-Building, and a whole lot more. Principal Cline will be available for questions and conversation from 7 to 7:30 p.m. in the IMC immediately following the event. CLICK HERE to download flyer.
Come Explore, Listen, Inquire, Learn & Connect!
Top 5 Reasons to Attend the Warrior Expo Jan 8th
5. Get the Facts I can do Project-Based Learning at Wash, or at BIG? I can get college credit for my language arts class? I can take Human Geography as a junior? Come explore all the options on display with teachers and staff all in one room!
4. Learn What’s New and Exciting. Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be a part of a forensics lab? Do you watch the food network and wish you knew how to chop and dice like the pros? Is Shawn the Sheep one of your favorite children shows and you wish you could know how they were made? Would you like to walk away from high school knowing you were a major part of building a home in the community? Many students and parents are unaware or have limited awareness of many of our elective offerings. Teachers are eager to introduce new and continuing opportunities in many different academic, life skill, and vocational areas.
3. Understand Class Expectations What am I going to get out of this course? How is it going to benefit me in my future? What am I actually going to do during this class? Handouts and expert teachers will be available with expectations on homework, workload, responsibilities, and the college and career pathways a course may create.
2. Meet the AWESOME Faculty. Why does Washington claim it is Iowa’s #1 School? How can Washington keep winning so many awards? Who really will be interacting with my child every day? Teachers and staff will be present to put a face to a name and have one on one conversations with students and their families.
1. There Will Be Fun! Isn’t high school boring? Is there really something for everyone at Wash? I dare you to entertain me! In addition to the meet and greet time with faculty, we will have displays and presentations from Project-Based Learning classrooms in Art, Science and Language Arts, with students presenting their course work to visitors. Performing art groups like show choir, dance team, and orchestra will be around. You can even catch the wrestlers and basketball players in the gyms.
HOLIDAY OPEN HOUSE A SUCCESS!
Thank you to the families and students for making the first holiday open house a success! Families sipped on hot cocoa and ate delicious holiday treats while listening to music played by the McKinley band. Kids had fun decorating cookies, making ornaments and playing holiday games.
INTERESTED IN VOLUNTEERING IN THE MCKINLEY DROP-OFF LANE?
Our morning Drop-Off Lane volunteers assist the McKinley staff in welcoming students to our school as they arrive in the morning. You can volunteer as frequently as you’d like. Our schedule is flexible, and the PTA is glad to have your help whenever you have a half hour to spare in the morning! You don’t have to be an active member of the PTA to volunteer in the Drop-Off lane; we welcome parents, step-parents, and grandparents as volunteers! Just be sure you have a yellow volunteer card on file in the office. If you don't have a card on file the volunteer coordinator may contact you and ask you to fill one out.
· Please arrive at 7:25 am and park your car in the north lot. This volunteer shift is from 7:30 am until 8:00 am. You are welcome to stay later to greet children who are running late and direct them to the attendance office.
· Enter the school through the northwest door and pick up your lanyard at the attendance office.
The primary goal of the McKinley Drop-Off Lane volunteers is to welcome students to McKinley with a smile and a warm greeting as they arrive in the morning.
· If you observe conflict or potential conflict among students, please make a staff member aware right away. As volunteers, it is up to us to help McKinley students feel safe as they wait for the school day to begin.
· If you see that a child needs help with their bag, Trapper, or musical instrument as they exit a vehicle, it’s OK to offer them a hand!
If temperatures are above 20 degrees Fahrenheit, you’ll be greeting children as they exit their vehicles outside. When temperatures drop below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, you’ll stand by the door and open it for students as they enter the building.
CLICK HERE to sign up
DYNAMIC SUPERHERO DRAWING CLASS
Class Dates: January 22-March 2 (tentative)
Time: 1:45-2:45 pm, grades 6-8
Learn the techniques top illustrators and artists use to create classic superhero comics, including villains and aliens! Excellent class for all students interested in not only drawing and illustration but creative character development. Class is offered through the Eastern Iowa Arts Academy. Sign up information will be forthcoming.
SELL CONCESSIONS AND RAISE MONEY FOR CLASS TRIPS
Help sell concessions at upcoming 7th and 8th grade girls basketball games. All monies will go towards end-of-year field trips.
Volunteers will be able to watch the game while selling concessions. Games start between 3:15 - 3:30. We also need help popping popcorn. This can be done anytime during the day of a game (prior to 3 pm). It will take 60-90 minutes (prior to 3 pm).
CLICK HERE to sign up for 7th grade girls basketball games
CLICK HERE to sign up for 8th grade girls basketball games
If you have any questions, please respond to this e-mail. Thank you and Go Bears!
WHAT'S NEW ON VIRTUAL BACKPACK
Imagination Iowa Middle School Event-January 13. CLICK HERE for more information.
Kirkwood Winter Softball School. CLICK HERE for more information.
Girls Code++-February 10. CLICK HERE for more information.
Sundown Ski Trip-January 16. CLICK HERE for more information.
Winter 2018 Art & Music Classes. CLICK HERE for more information.
FOR ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES ON VIRTUAL BACKPACK, CLICK HERE