Family STEM 2021
Summer Family Fun!
Virtual Field Trips A-Z
Go on a Virtual Visit to a Zoo
Click the links below to see animals at zoos around the world!
- San Diego Zoo Live Web Cams: https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/live-cams
- Atlanta Zoo Panda Cam: https://zooatlanta.org/panda-cam/
- Georgia Aquarium Web Cams: https://www.amli.com/blog/atlanta-zoo-aquarium-live-streams-animal-webcams
- Zoo Cameras Around the World: https://zoocamerasaroundtheworld.com/zoo-atlanta-webcams/
NASA Science Space Place
- Check out the NASA Science Space Place for many games and STEM challenges: https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/menu/parents-and-educators/
- Make a Stained Glass Earth Challenge: https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/stained-glass-earth/en/
- Make a Balloon Powered Nanorover: https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/nanorover/en/
- Play Comet Quest: https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/comet-quest/en/
- Play Mission to Jupiter: https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/junoquest/en/
Daily STEM Resources
For Grades K-12
@DailySTEM is Chris Woods, a math teacher that loves integrating STEM and sharing his ideas on Twitter (and other social media)! Check out some of his ideas! These might fit into your spring break plans!!
- If you are looking for some quick ideas to integrate STEM, check out these videos from @DailySTEM: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgiauwawBZP0VWnv5sYR5utxcOQJoO90Z&app=desktop
- Here is a link to the @DailySTEM weekly publication The Daily STEM! Your students will love the one page format and ideas for making them think about the world around them. This is a link to all archived and current publications. Chris introduces a new one each week: http://dailystem.com/news/
- Do you think you will be watching movies during spring break? Linked below are some movies that have STEM connections and activities you can do!
- 77 Simple STEM Activities for Families from @DailySTEM: http://dailystem.com/resources/ There are several versions of the 77 Simple STEM activities including the newest version, the Nature Edition!
Technovation Families: STEM Challenges
Literacy With a STEM Twist: Novel Engineering
For Grades K-12
Novel Engineering offers a way for students to combine their reading assignments with STEM challenges. Here's what you do:
1. Read a book.
2. Identify a problem to solve.
3. Design a solution to the problem.
Here's an example: Read Chicken Little. One problem in this book is that Chicken Little is afraid the sky is going to fall. STEM Challenge: Using materials from around the house, design a shelter that will protect Chicken Little in the event the sky does fall.
Use any book you have or check out one of the many websites offering the reading of books. Here are a few:
- For all grade levels, K-12 https://www.weareteachers.com/virtual-author-activities/
- Astronauts reading books from space https://storytimefromspace.com/
Celebrity Remix Weekly Challenge
Amazon Future Engineer and Georgia Tech EarSketch are posting weekly challenges for students to code and compose music featuring artists Common and Ciara. Songs that get the most plays on SoundCloud will will $25 Amazon gift cards! Check out the details at the link below!