Science 8 Newsletter
Hicksville Middle School
Welcome to Room 237!
Below you will find that I have listed anticipated assignments for the week and other important reminders.
State Test Review Assignments: As we continue to prepare for the upcoming Ohio Science 8 Assessment, you will notice review assignments incorporated into the week's plans. These assignments will occur in the form of Study Island sessions. At least two days will be provided to complete these assignments, with topics and due dates provided well in advance. Please encourage your student to work on these early, as procrastination may lead to an overwhelming amount of homework when combined with assignments from other classes.
Grades for this week?
Science 8 students will be earning grades on the following assignments for the week:
- Old Ms. Rees' Farm Group Test: On Friday (4/8) and Monday (4/11), students will be working in their assigned groups to complete the Old Ms. Rees' Farm Mating Analysis activity. This activity creatively incorporates the ideas of reproduction, meiosis, and trait inheritance, as students work as teams of geneticists to determine the newest additions to Old Ms. Rees' Farm. Points earned through the completion of this activity will appear as a test grade in PowerSchool.
- Individual Student SchoolNet Test: On Friday (4/8), students were provided with the code to access the individual portion of their test on SchoolNet. This "take home" test must be submitted by 11:59PM on Monday (4/11).
- Study Island Assignment [Choice 2]: Students must earn at least a 75% on this assignment, with their highest overall score recorded in PowerSchool. Students not earning a 75% by Wednesday (4/13), will be assigned a mandatory PRIDE session. This Study Island topic has been selected, as it will support state testing review.
- Study Island Assignment [Choice 3]: Students must earn at least a 75% on this assignment, with their highest overall score recorded in PowerSchool. Students not earning a 75% by Friday (4/15), will be assigned a mandatory PRIDE session. This Study Island topic has been selected, as it will support state testing review.
- Final Summative Test: On Friday (4/15), students will complete their FINAL test of the year. This test will cover all material learned this year, with review information found in Big Idea Guides 1 and 2 in their student notebook. [Yes... I know this may seem early, but we have completed all units in preparation for the upcoming state test. All future assignments will be graded as homework, quiz, and project grades.]
Student performance is tracked daily using the Class Dojo app. Access your student's profile to view his or her daily or weekly class performance by clicking on the button above.
This website features flashcards and games to help your student study unit vocabulary in preparation for quizzes and tests. Click the button above to visit the website.