Region 11 Charter Schools
Trainings, Celebrations, Meetings, Updates and more!
Region 11 is excited to announce that we now have sessions designed to especially meet charter school needs. The following are already planned and there are many more being planned:
ESC Region 11 Professional Development
- Assessment Updates for Charter Schools Personnel - March 2, 2021 at 9:00 a.m.
- Career and Technical Education for Charters - March 25, 2021at 9:00 a.m.
- Understanding the "Why" & "How" in Serving English Learners in Charter Schools - April 21, 2021, 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Registration Opening Soon!
Others Outside Professional Development
- Texas Charter Leaders Open Forum with Dr. Alan Seay - Every Wednesdays at 1:00 p.m.
- Gear up for STAAR! with Texas Public Charter Schools Association - February 18, 2021, 9:00 a.m.
- Hot Topics in PEIMS with Texas Public Charter Schools Association - February 25, 2021, 9:00 a.m.
- Charter School FIRST: Overview and Strategies for Compliance with Dr. Alan Seay and Gene Zhu in parternship with Texas Public Charter Schools Association - February 25, 2021, 10:00 a.m.
- National Charter School Conference "NCSC21" - June 20, 2021 - June 23, 2021
Register today! Share with other charter staff! Join the charter professional learning community!
- Free PD from TxDLA - The Texas Distance Learning Association (TxDLA) is offering a series of FREE Targeted Professional Development Days, consisting of half-day mini-workshops developed to address topics specific to each of its constituencies. K-12 Professional Development Day is Thursday, February 18, from 2:00 to 6:00 p.m. CST. Session recordings will be available on-demand for two weeks for FREE on the TxDLA website and indefinitely for TxDLA members.
- TexQuest + Digital Tools = Powerful Project and Assessment - On February 24, 2021 at 1:00p.m., participants will explore ways to structure projects and assessments that encourage content mastery as well as the use of authentic, credible resources. This is a FREE session for teachers, librarians, curriculum coaches, and administrators! Details attached below.
- English Learner Program - This five-part series introduces participants to the components of the Texas Education Agency's EL program implementation rubrics and tools (7.5 CPE credit hours). The series begins February 25, 2021. This is a FREE session! Details attached below.
- TexQuest: Let's Have a Conversation about College & Career Readiness - This two-hour workshop on March 24, 2021 at 1:00 p.m. will tour the many centers in LearningExpress. talk about My Center Dashboard, learn how to take practice tests, search for occupations, and more. Participants will have ample time for hands-on practice throughout the session. This is a FREE session! Details attached below.
- Universal Design for Learning (UDL) - A FREE online professional development in 5 modules to earn up to 30 CPEs! Details attached below.
- Early Childhood Training - Preschool During the Pandemic: Early Childhood Education in Extraordinary Times - This multi-part video series, developed by Larry Edelman, features preschool staff and families from five states and illustrates their working together to use technology to make the virtual learning experience exciting, effective, and engaging for young children.
- Next-Level Leadership - Cohorts members will engage in an intentional coaching model that provides the Principal Supervisors and campus leadership teams with research-based practices used to increase student achievement.
- Building a Foundation for Supporting Students with Significant Cognitive Disabilities - The Texas Complex Access Needs network has posted this training, which covers the five Quality Indicators of Effective Practices for working with students with significant cognitive disabilities and aligns with the Rubric of Effective Practices. This FREE, self-paced online course is approved for 18 CPE hours.
It is more important than ever to use a collective voice to represent ESC Region 11 charter schools. Here are some upcoming opportunities to advocate for and promote charter school leaders, teachers, parents, and students.
SCHOOL SUPERINTENDENTS:ESC Board Elections - Applications accepted starting February 1, 2021 and due by February 20, 2021!
- Place 1 (representing Johnson and Somervell Counties)
- Place 4 (representing Erath and Hood Counties)
- Place 7 (representing Tarrant County)
Superintendent Cluster Meetings - Begin this week
Please join Dr. Steelman for virtual cluster meetings to discuss important education issues. This is a great way to represent ESC Region 11 charter schools. Find the details and zoom invites in his February 4, 2021 Superintendent Update.
Superintendent of the Year Awards Program - TASB has just released information about this year's SOTY awards program. Please click the link below for deadlines, eligibility guidelines, and the application form.More Information: https://www.tasb.org/services/communications-and-pr/recognition-programs/superintendent-of-the-year.aspx
Recognition and Celebration - Speaking of outstanding charter superintendents, please join ESC Region 11 in congratulating Dr. Lisa Stanley, Superintendent of North Texas Collegiate Academy. Dr. Stanley recently completed the National Superintendent Certification program through AASA! Since 2013, only 300 superintendents have earned this certification and Dr. Stanley is THE ONLY PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOL superintendent to do so. Congratulations!!!
Education in Action's 2020-2021 Call for Outstanding Student Nominations is in progress. Please forward the Call for Nominations, below, to your region's 4th-8th grade educators so they may nominate your regions's deserving students for summer 2021 Lone Star Leadership Academy camps.
Nominations are a great way for your teachers to recognize outstanding 4th-8th graders, especially in light of remote learning and modified and/or cancelled academic and extracurricular activities; each nominee receives a personalized certificate stating they were nominated based on demonstrated academic and leadership ability!
Look for more information coming soon about nominating our charter teachers for ESC Region 11's Teachers of the Year!
- 87th Texas Legislature Regular Session Education Bills Filed - ESC Region 11 continues to keep a spreadsheet updated on the latest bills filed relating to education in Texas. Also, see "Did you know?" section below for other tips to find charter-related bills.
- ESC Region 11 Special Education Survey: As a part of TEA state accountability, ESC Region 11 asks that you complete this short survey to help identify the LEA and district needs toward SPP 5b. Please complete the survey by February 19, 2021. SECIP/SPP 5b Survey: https://qrgo.page.link/y4aCF
- Operation Connectivity Prior Purchase Reimbursement Program (PPRP) - Deadline for all amendments and new applications must be received by February 15, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. TEA will start processing new amendments and new applications on or about February 22, 2021.
- Indirect Cost Rates Request (charter schools only) - Deadline for submitting the required survey is March 31, 2021. The TEA announcement details.
- Carl Perkins Grant Opportunity - The grant period is July 21, 2021 and August 31, 2022. The applications must be received by the TEA by 11:59 p.m. April 13, 2021 to be considered for funding.
- Special Education Self-Assessment is open in TEAL and due for ALL LEAs by April 30, 2021.
- TEA posts CPR waiver Information for Seniors - State law (TEC §28.0023) requires school districts and open-enrollment charter schools to provide CPR instruction to students in grades 7 through 12, and students must receive the instruction at least once before graduating from high school. If seniors in 2020-2021 have not received the required instruction in CPR, a school district may request a waiver of the requirement from the Commissioner. Waiver Instructions