David Powell + Tyrese Turner
10 Facts about yellow fever
- Yellow fever spreads by infected mosquitoes. The "yellow" term from the disease comes from the jaundice that affects some hosts.
- 50% of people die from yellow fever if infected severely.
- about 30,000 people die from yellow fever each year.
- The virus is mostly found in tropical climate places. Most are infected in this region.
- due to more infection, deforestation, urbanization, population movements and climate change, the infected rate is getting higher each year.
- There is no sure cure about yellow fever, but there is medication.
- The medication is highly effective against yellow fever. It will provide some great protection against yellow fever if used properly.
Regions of Africa its located in
- jungle yellow fever: In tropical rain-forests, The majority of infections occur in young men working in the forest.
- Intermediate yellow fever: In humid or semi-humid parts of Africa, A outbreak can become a more severe epidemic if the infection is carried into an area populated with both domestic mosquitoes and unvaccinated people.
- Urban yellow fever: Infected mosquitoes transmit the virus from person to person.
Is yellow fever curable?
No, but if used medication properly, it can prevent it.
How its impacting Africa
200,000 cases of infections and 30,000 deaths each year.
is it a major or minor disease there? why...
Its both, major and minor. In certain parts of Africa yellow fever infections are very low and high. Its to the point where its just between major and minor.
What can Africa do to limit this disease?
keep inside shelter when its night. Vaccinate children to keep them protected from yellow fever.