Vocabulary Rich Classrooms
Written By: Holly B. Lane, Stephanie Arriaza Allen
2. words that are key to comprehension and are frequently used
3. words are taught as they are encountered
1. wide reading
2. instruction of individual words
3. word learning strategies
4.development of word consciousness
Be a word conscious teacher
My opinion of the article
- What are some different ways to teach vocabulary?
- How do you pick vocabulary for higher and lower level students?
- How can you assess if students are learning the new vocabulary?
Tips for Teaching Vocabulary from Edutopia
Lane, H., & Allen, S. (2010). The Vocabulary-Rich Classroom: Modeling Sophisticated Word Use to Promote Word Consciousness and Vocabulary Growth. The Reading Teacher, 63(5), 362-370. doi:10.1598/RT.63.5.2