Science Study Guide IPS Period 5
study for monday's test
- Limestone: Porous, holds water, soft and soluble
- Florida sinkholes occur because of lots of limes one, there is water underground and florida was once covered with ocean (soft calcium deposits)
- It was discovered in 8th century by Alchemists.
- Its uses include: Lead Acid batteries, fertilizers, prevents rust corrosion (steel industry) and dried fruit production.
Two Gases Lab
Purpose: To collect and compare the gases produced by the reaction of sulfuric acid with both pure magnesium and magnesium carbonate.
- Magnesium&Acid = Hydrogen. The upright test tube, gas escapes and it is filled with air. The inverted test tube, the gas cannot escape and it is filled with hydrogen.
- The flammable gas is escaping and there is a pop sound because the gas is ignited and rushes out of test tube. The Rubbing against the glass causes friction (sound)
- Not waiting 30 seconds
- Unstopper before inverting
- Break surface water with test tube
- Don't collect full test tube of gas
- Air bubble in test tube
- Stopper is not tight
- Not keeping test tube vertical
Magnesium Carbonate &Acid
- The dense gas sinks.
- In the upright test tube, it is filled with carbon dioxide and the gas cannot escape.
- In the inverted one, it is filled with air and gas escapes.
Acidification of Water Lab
Purpose: To determine if we can change the acidity of water by dissolving carbon dioxide from our lungs.
- Phenol red changes color as you add carbon dioxide in water
- The carbon dioxide turns to carbonic acid lowering the pH of the water
- Calcium tablet is more soluble than cup with straw
- The carbonic acid lowers pH and dissolves calcium faster
- Don't bubble water long enough
- 2 cups not having the same amount of water
- Lose water when using straw
- Pout carbon dioxide in both cups.
- Normal Ocean pH is 8.1-84
- Ocean's pH has decreased 0.1 (about 25% down)
- Lower ocean pH means sea animals with shells will not be able to make a shell.