By: Javona Freeman
What do the Dietary Guidelines do for Americans?
It is meant as a likely hood of developing health problems.
Getting Enough Nutrients Within Your Calorie Needs
3. Activity Level
4. If you are trying to gain/lose weight
Nutrient-Dense Food: A food that provides high amounts of vitamins and minerals for relatively few calories.
How to Maintain a Healthy Weight
Health Problems Related to too much Body Fat:
-High Blood Pressure
-Some Types of Cancer
Health Risks of Being Under Weight:
They don't have much body fat as an energy reserve. They can also suffer from health problems.
Suggestions for Losing Weight:
1. Increasing physical activity
2. Decrease in food and beverage calories
Suggestions for Being Physically Active Everyday.
1. Control your weight
2. Strengthen your heart and lungs.
How much physical activity should a teen get?
Teens should build 60 minutes or more in their daily routine.
Importance of Whole Grains, Fruits, Vegetables and Milk
1. Helps protect against heart disease, cancer, and other health problems.
2. They are nutrient rich, cholesterol free, and naturally low in fats and calories.
3. Provides the most of your calories.
2 Health Benefits:
1. Protects you from getting Cancer.
2. Protects you from having heart disease.
3 Ways to Include These in Your Diet:
1. Eat Fruit instead of sugary desserts.
2. Drink fruit or vegetable juice with your meals or as a snack.
3. Drink yogurt smoothies for snacks.
How to limit Fats and Cholesterol
1. Unsaturated Fats
2. Saturated Fats
Guidelines to achieve Moderate Total Fat Intake:
- Keep saturated fats to less than 10% of your calories
- Eat as few foods containing trans as possible
- Limit cholesterol to less than 300 milligrams per day
Be Choosy About Carbohydrates
Foods with Added Sugars:
- soft drinks
Why should you limit your sugar intake?
Why you should reduce sodium and increase potassium?
Sodium can cause high blood pressure, heart attack, and strokes. Potassium helps counteract sodium's effect on blood pressure.
How does sodium benefit the body?
Function of Potassium:
It helps counteract sodium's effects on blood pressure.
1. Can lead to accidents or injuries
2. Has no nutrients
3. Can cause emotional problems, violence, or any other problems.
Why is food safety an important part of the Dietary Guidelines?
It is important so you can know what foods you need to stay away from because they could have bacteria. When food isn't properly handled, stored, and prepared it can cause food borne illness.