- He was heavily influenced by his grandfather who taught him about Marxism and Lenin.
- He had one child, a daughter named Irina.
- Gorbachev has received many awards for his work including the St. Andrew Award from Russia, the Ronald Reagan Freedom Award, the Indira Gandhi Prize, and the Nobel Peace Prize (1990).
- He has a large birth mark on his forehead which led to the nickname "The Marked Man".
- He once said "If what you have done yesterday still looks big to you, you haven't done much today."
"What we need is star peace, not star wars" ~Mikhail Gorbachev~
"Peace is not unity in similarity but unity in diversity, in the comparison and conciliation of differences" ~Mikhail Gorbachev~
He was drafted to the regular army and was put in charge of a combat engineering squad. He was famous for being a former president of the former USSR. Mikhail Gorbachev was the last leader of the Soviet Union before it dissolved in 1991. He brought many reforms to the Soviet Union including new freedoms which led to many countries breaking away from the union claiming independence. His relationships with western leaders such as Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher helped bring an end to the Cold War.