Lincoln Crossing Colt Connection
Sunday, April 8, 2018
LCES United: Together We Are More!
Mrs. Hladun's Tidings
It's so hard to believe we are 3/4 of the way through the school year! Spring is a wonderful time at LCES - we have so much to look forward to! Some highlights:
- Open House is on 5/17: visit classrooms to see what your student has mastered this year; come see our students shine on stage in the MPR - we'll have performances featuring choir, recorders and ukuleles!
- Visual & Performing Arts: Choir performs at the RiverCats game (4/15), StarStruck (4/17 and 4/19), Open House (5/17) and Talent Show (5/24)
- PTC activities: McTeacher Night (4/10), staff appreciation week (5/7-11), spring book fair (5/14-18), End of the Year BBQ (5/24)
- End of Year Assessments: our 3rd-5th graders are getting exposed to the SBAC tests now, and our formal testing window is 4/23-5/11 - your teacher can give you details about when his/her class is assessing
- Field Trips: most classes have a fun learning experience planned this spring - seeing plays, visiting the LHS farm, Whale's Tales at the McBean Pool, visiting the Woodcreek Nature Center, Fort Bragg and more are all on the menu!
Why is LCES a Great Place to Be? So Many Reasons!
We have such an amazing team at LCE. Big kudos to Mrs. Warren, who was recently honored as the CA Teacher of the Year from the Veteran's of Foreign Wars. Also, Mrs. Shorkey (Ms. Tricia to many of us!) was honored by her peers as the the WPUSD Classified School Employee in the Office & Technical Category. Mrs. Williams is being honored by her peers as the LCES Teacher Who Makes a Difference! Congratulations to all of our outstanding staff for their contributions!
We are pleased to welcome Ms. Rosa to the cafeteria team. Ms. Michelle is moving over to the kitchen at Coppin, and Ms. Rosa comes to us from Foskett Ranch. We will miss Ms. Michelle and her ready smile and fun music, but we are happy to welcome Ms. Rosa to the Colt Family!
StarStruck is Here!
Tickets for the productions are on sale NOW. Order forms are online, and a paper copy should have made it's way home just after break. The shows are on Tues., 4/17 and Thurs., 4/19. Each night will have 2 shows - one at 6 pm, and a repeat at 7 pm. All students should plan to attend both shows on their night. Please drop your student off in their classroom by 5:45 and pick him/her up after the last show (around 7:45 pm).
Students will perform with their class on the following nights:
- Tues., 4/17: Brown, Warren, Giannini, Cassidy, Cook, Shelton, Shye, Stuckey, Botonis, Coleman, Williams, and Wright
- Thurs., 4/19: Fleshman, Swanson, Wetzsten, Risucci, Ochoa, Beatty, Bombard, Crook, Cruice, Whiteside, Hill and Sliepen
Consider reaching out to your teacher to see how you can help with dance costume planning or accessories!
Morning Mischief Managed!
If your child is a greeter, please find the 4th quarter greeter posted on our website - we hope to have the link up by the end of the day on Monday!
A shout out to the WATCH DOGS dads who also help us with our cross walk most mornings! Thank you thank you thank you!
PTC - now and later!
We are also looking ahead to the 2018/19 year. This week, the new 18/19 PTC board was elected, and your incoming leaders are:
- Co-Presidents: Alicia Andes and Kari Swift
- Co-Vice Presidents: Jenna Harwood and Jessica Lackey
- Treasurer: Cortney Morgan
- Secretary: Melanie Franklin
Our current board will see us through the end of the school year while our new board learns the ropes and begins planning for next year. This talented group of parents are excited about the upcoming year, and are ready to partner with our families to keep our Colt traditions alive! I know that together we will continue to grow our Colt community and partner in shaping and supporting the future of our school.
Honoring a former Colt and current Zebra - 2 weeks left to show your support!
From 3/1-4/20, Blake and his friend (and fellow Zebra!) Ruby Rummelhart, will be leading a fundraising team to support lifesaving blood cancer research. You can support Blake and Ruby on their quest to support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and be honored as their Students of the Year by visiting their fundraising page between now and 4/20/18. Please consider supporting two amazing kids, a cause close to their hearts and our local community!
- Mon., 4/9: Early Release Day
- Tues., 4/10, 4-8 pm: PTC McTeacher Night
- Sun., 4/15: River Cats Game with LCE Choir Performing!
- Mon., 4/16: Early Release Day
- Tues., 4/17: StarStruck show at 6 and 7 pm (arrive by 5:45 pm) for Brown, Warren, Giannini, Cassidy, Cook, Shelton, Shye, Stuckey, Botonis, Coleman, Williams, and Wright
- Thurs., 4/19: StarStruck show at 6 and 7 pm (arrive by 5:45 pm) for Fleshman, Swanson, Wetzsten, Risucci, Ochoa, Beatty, Bombard, Crook, Cruice, Whiteside, Hill and Sliepen
- Mon., 4/23: Early Release Day
- Week of 4/23: Great Kindness Challenge
- 4/23-5/18: LCES SBAC testing window for grades 3-5; more info will come from your teacher about exact testing days for your child's class
- Month of May: Better Speech and Hearing Month
- Tues., 5/1, 3 pm: Volunteer Thank You Celebration
- Thurs., 5/3: Tentative date for 5th grade Science CAST assessment
- Fri., 5/4: LCE Spirit Day - Superhero Day & May the Force/Fourth Be With You!
- Week of 5/7: Staff Appreciation Week
- Week of 5/14: Spring Book Fair
- Thurs., 5/17: Open House
- Fri., 5/18: All Kinder Field Trip - all Kinders attend from 8-12:30 pm
- Thurs., 5/24: Annual Talent Show & PTC BBQ
- Mon., 5/28: No School - Memorial Day
- Tues., 5/29-Fri., 6/1: 5th Grade Fort Bragg Trip
- Wed., 5/30 OR Thurs., 5/31 (TBD): LHS Senior Parade!
- Fri., 6/1: Dress Up Day - Hawaiian Day
- Week of 6/4-6/7: Early Release Week (1:40 dismissal for grades 1-5; ER Monday schedule for K)
- Mon., 6/4: End of Semester 2 Awards Ceremonies
- Tues. 6/5: Election Day - the LCE MPR will be used all day/evening
- Wed., 6/6: 5th grade Awards & Breakfast
- Thurs., 6/7: Kinder End of Year Celebration & Last Day of School!
Upcoming Non-School Days, 18/19 & 19/20 Calendars
- Monday, May 28th (Memorial Day)
- Friday, June 8th (first day of summer break!)
The school district has published our calendars for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 years! If you are planning out vacations, consult the school calendars here.
AM Kinder: 8 - 11:20 am PM Kinder: 10:20 am -1:40 pm Grades 1-5: 8:15 am - 1:40 pm (supervision provided for students from 1:40-2 pm)
Click for more information about school meal pricing and breakfast and lunch menus. You can also access My School Bucks to add to your child's lunch balance and submit an online application for free/reduced meals.