The Eagles' Nest May 2, 2021
The Community Newsletter of EXCEL Academy PCS
Volume 2, Issue 20
IT'S NATIONAL TEACHERS' APPRECIATION WEEK!
It's the most wonderful time of the year!!
This school year has been unlike any other, and we at EXCEL Academy are going to make sure that we celebrate our teachers and all staff this week to show them how much we appreciate them during this season that has been particularly difficult for us all. Our staff has endured the same hardships our families have endured during the pandemic - loss of loved ones (some overseas), illnesses, stress, anxiety, and the like. In spite of that, we have given you the best that we have to offer in the midst of it all and our scholars are demonstrating growth in their academic and social development.
For these reasons and so many more, please be sure to take the time out to #ThankATeacher this week and especially Tuesday. We will be featuring the amazing things our teachers have done throughout this school year on our EXCEL social media pages. If you decide to do a social media shout-out of your teacher, please tag us and we will reshare it.
Lastly, please check your emails for a very special way to send some love to your child's teacher! We thank you for partnering with us in this effort!
EXCEL Academy 4th Quarter Grading Amnesty Policy
Please read the policy below that will go into effect beginning the first week of May. If you have any questions, please reach out to your child's teacher.
- Parents should check their child's SchoolMax family portal each Monday to see if there is any missing work from the previous week.
- Students may submit missed assignments that have a zero (0) score on Wednesdays until 11:59 pm from the previous week (for example, you can submit any work that was unsubmitted from April 26th - 30th by Wednesday, May 5th).
- Students will receive between a 50-60% on their assignments.
- Students and/or parents must email teachers to communicate what specific assignments have been turned in by the Wednesday deadline.
We are hopeful that this extra support will allow our students to do their best as we look to finish off a very challenging year.
THE DEADLINE IS APPROACHING (LETTER OF INTENT)
Please CLICK BELOW to complete your "Letter of Intent Form - EXCEL Academy Public Charter School" to guarantee your spot for the next school year right here at EXCEL. Thanks for getting this in expeditiously!!
Mothers' Day is Sunday, May 9th!
ANNUAL FERPA NOTICE
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.
FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students."
- Parents or eligible students have the right to inspect and review the student's education records maintained by the school. Schools are not required to provide copies of records unless, for reasons such as great distance, it is impossible for parents or eligible students to review the records. Schools may charge a fee for copies.
- Parents or eligible students have the right to request that a school correct records which they believe to be inaccurate or misleading. If the school decides not to amend the record, the parent or eligible student then has the right to a formal hearing. After the hearing, if the school still decides not to amend the record, the parent or eligible student has the right to place a statement with the record setting forth his or her view about the contested information.
- Generally, schools must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student's education record. However, FERPA allows schools to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR § 99.31):
- School officials with legitimate educational interest;
- Other schools to which a student is transferring;
- Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
- Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
- Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
- Accrediting organizations;
- To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
- Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and
- State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.
Schools may disclose, without consent, "directory" information such as a student's name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, honors and awards, and dates of attendance. However, schools must tell parents and eligible students about directory information and allow parents and eligible students a reasonable amount of time to request that the school not disclose directory information about them. Schools must notify parents and eligible students annually of their rights under FERPA. The actual means of notification (special letter, inclusion in a PTA bulletin, student handbook, or newspaper article) is left to the discretion of each school.
A WORD FROM OUR OPERATOR - SEED, Inc.
- The next SEED/EXCEL Governing Board Meeting will be Thursday, May 20th, 6:30 pm - 8 pm. At this meeting, we will discuss school data and receive facility updates regarding the acquisition of our new location. Here is the Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86000758117?pwd=RGUxWWh5WkZpWm1xWWdiMmU0WWsrQT09
- The Family Market Food distribution was a big success! Please note that all families are welcome to pick up food from our family market. Families will be able to pick up boxes as they exit the property during hybrid dismissal BUT all are welcome! The next one will be Thursday, May 20th.
When taking an EXCEL Academy device to a Parent Technical Support Center and they are unable to fix the problem, please do not allow them to keep the device unless there is a Prince George's County Public Schools tag on the bottom. All EXCEL Academy PCS (EA PCS) devices must be returned to our school in exchange for a replacement.
Remember that if your child is having a technical issue you MUST email the teacher the day of the incident. Thank you for understanding.
UPDATED Days/Times: Mondays and Wednesdays, 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Parents may call 240-696-3315 during these hours to receive live assistance.
Sign up for an appointment **An email address is required to book an appointment online. If you do not have an email address, please book an appointment through the Parent Hotline at 240-696-3315. To book an appointment online:
1. Select the “Book an Appointment” link below for the specific location you would like to visit. 2. Select the service you need. 3. Select an available time from the list. *Appointments must be made more than 90 minutes in advance. 4. Complete the appointment form. 5. A confirmation email will be sent to the email they use to register.
- Benjamin Tasker Middle School - 4901 Collington Road, Bowie, MD 20715 | Book an appointment
- Charles Carroll Middle School - 6130 Lamont Drive, New Carrollton, MD 20784 | Book an appointment
- Drew Freeman Middle School - 2600 Brooks Drive, Suitland, MD 20746 | Book an appointment
- G. James Gholson Middle School - 900 Nalley Road, Landover, MD 20785 | Book an appointment
- Gwynn Park High School - 13800 Brandywine Road, Brandywine, MD 20613 | Book an appointment
- High Point High School - 3601 Powder Mill Road, Beltsville, MD 20705 | Book an appointment
- Northwestern High School - 7000 Adelphi Road, Hyattsville, MD 20782 | Book an appointment
- Port Towns Elementary School - 4351 58th Avenue, Bladensburg, MD 20710 | Book an appointment
- Thurgood Marshall Middle School - 4909 Brinkley Road, Temple Hills, MD 20748 | Book an appointment
Important Dates to Remember: May 2 - May 16th
- Monday, May 3rd - Friday, May 7th: Teacher/Staff Appreciation Week
- Tuesday, May 4th: National Teacher Appreciation Day
- Wednesday, May 5th: Asynchronous Wednesday - Please check your child's Google classroom for updates on how to submit work for attendance.
- Friday, May 7th: Career Day (scholars should check their Google Classrooms for times and schedules)
- Wednesday, May 12th: National School Nurse's Day
- Thursday, May 13th: Eid-al-Fitr / ALL SCHOOLS CLOSED