Pursue Understanding. Take Action.
April 19, 2021
Well-Being Resources on Campus
As we near the end of the semester and head into finals and final projects, we encourage you to seek support from the many resources available on campus. These resources are designed to help in any type of academic or mental health need. Reach out to your instructors and advisors for more information and referrals if you don't know where to start. Stay involved and connected.
- If you need emotional or academic support, please contact Student Care and Outreach, CAPS, or other supports available on campus.
- UGA offers a couple of virtual mental health resources, as well: Therapy Assistance Online (TAO) and a partnership with Christie Campus Health.
- You can reach CAPS by phone at 706-542-2273. If you would prefer to talk to a non-UGA counselor, Christie Campus Health offers a 24/7 support line at 833-910-3371.
- Check out the UGA Master Calendar, the UGA Involvement Network, and search lists of things to do around Athens.
- For a more comprehensive listing of resources, please visit UGA’s Student Resources for Well-being or the UGA Mental Health Initiative.
Public Health Jobs Virtual Career Fair
ASPPH is hosting the Public Health Jobs Virtual Career Fair on April 30 from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM ET. This event is free for ASPPH member students (undergraduate and graduate) and alumni seeking full-time jobs, internships, fellowships, and postdoctoral opportunities.
Last year there were 50+ employers and over 1,000 students from ASPPH member schools participating. This event is open to any employers who are interested in connecting with public health graduates. Please share this employer flyer with any organization you believe would be interested in attending!
Candidate and Employer Registration: Click Here
2021 Global Health Research Symposium
This year, Global Health Union and the Global Health Institute are hosting UGA's annual Global Health Research Symposium on April 22nd. This symposium is open to any undergraduate or graduate student involved in research that is directly or indirectly related to global health. We will be featuring an interdisciplinary array of research, projects, and internships through both posters and oral presentations, and research does not need to be completed to be considered.
This year’s symposium will be held virtually. Participants will submit a 3-5 minute recorded poster presentation, though there will be the option for a few synchronous oral presentations via Zoom on April 22nd. Winners will also be announced in on April 22nd. The symposium is a great opportunity to practice showcasing your work, receive faculty assessment, network with students and faculty, and to learn more about global health research at UGA.
If you are interested, please fill out the application below by April 9th and posters will be due by April 16th.
Application link: https://forms.gle/cmi4kGenN9ydBeKi8
Future Health Promoters Club
The Future Health Promoters club has some exciting events coming up. These are a great way to further involve yourself in our club and we hope you’ll consider attending.
Follow here: https://www.instagram.com/uga_fhp/
Physican Assistant Program Events This Week
- On April 19th at 5pm, South College representatives, Tia M Solh-Associate Program Director, Christi Gierhart-Associate Director of Didactic Education, Felicia Slaton-Associate Director of Clinical Education and Simone Pitts-PA Admissions Coordinator will discuss their PA program and pertinent information related to the upcoming CASPA cycle. They will be answering questions about admissions process, requirements plus any questions you have related to their PA program application. Zoom Link: https://uga.zoom.us/j/91243782892 Meeting ID: 912 4378 2892 Passcode: 521098
- The Pre-Professional Advising Office will be hosting Duke University’s PA Program on Tuesday, April 20th from 5:00PM-6:00PM via Zoom. Representative, Wendy Z Elwell-Paige – Director of Admissions, will be discussing the PA program and pertinent information related to the upcoming CASPA cycle. She will be answering questions about the admissions process, requirements, plus any questions you have related to their PA program application. Zoom Link: https://uga.zoom.us/j/93924820145. Meeting ID: 939 2482 0145. Passcode: 295303
- Brenau University’s PA Program will be available on Wednesday, April 20th from 5:00PM-6:00PM via Zoom. Representative, Jamie Cushway – Director of Recruitment, will be discussing the PA program and pertinent information related to the upcoming CASPA cycle. She will be answering questions about the admissions process, requirements, plus any questions you have related to their PA program application. Zoom Link: https://uga.zoom.us/j/98770943233. Meeting ID: 987 7094 3233. Passcode: 642598
- UNC-Chapel Hill representative, Janelle Bludorn-Clinical Assistant Professor, will be discussing the PA program and pertinent information related to the upcoming CASPA cycle. She will be answering questions about the admissions process, requirements, plus any questions you have related to their PA program application.
April 26th: 5:00pm-6:00pm. Zoom Link: https://uga.zoom.us/j/92409854135. Meeting ID: 924 0985 4135. Passcode: 475818.
Pre-Med Presentation: Duke University School of Medicine
Andrea Lui, the Assistant Dean of Admissions at Duke University School of Medicine, will be giving an Admissions presentation on Tuesday, April 20th from 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm. This will be an opportunity to hear more about the medical schools, admissions process, and more.
The presentation will be held via zoom, join using the link below.
- Join Zoom Meeting: https://zoom.us/j/92907222779?pwd=dm9FdTVjNk1uUVk0aXIzZkQzL2h5dz09. Meeting ID: 929 0722 2779. Passcode: Duke
Earth Day 2021, Community Clean Up
To celebrate Earth Day 2021, Bulldogs everywhere are encouraged to clean up your community, wherever that may be. Our goal is to remove 100,000 pieces of litter to help beautify and unify communities across the state of Georgia and around the globe.
Through the pandemic we’ve been reminded that the wellbeing of our communities is paramount, and this includes the health of our environment. We’re calling all Dawgs who are able to serve your community by safely picking up litter for at least 30 minutes during Earth Day Thursday April 22 through Sunday April 25, 2021.
Download the App & Win Prizes: https://sustainability.uga.edu/community-engagement/cleanup/
Global Health Research Symposium
Spring 2021 Seminar Series – Special Event
Please join us on Thursday, April 22 for the UGA’s annual Global Health Symposium. The event, hosted by the UGA Global Health Union and Global Health Institute, will be held virtually and feature poster presentations from undergraduate and graduate students engaged in global health-related research and experiential learning.
MPH Virtual Capstone Showcase
Apply Online! Applications are open!
Applications are open April 1 - 23!
Student Group Advisors will email applicants to schedule an interview.
Be Well Peer Educators: Peers for Alcohol & Other Drug Education
Advisor - Liana Natochy, Alcohol and Other Drugs Education Coordinator
The Be Well Peer Educators: Peers for Alcohol and Other Drug Education (PADE) represent The Fontaine Center and empower students to make informed decisions about alcohol and other drugs while at UGA through prevention education and outreach. Members host a variety of workshops, educational programs, and substance-free events for the campus community.
Be Well Peer Educators: Relationship & Sexual Violence Prevention
Advisor - Cameron Conner, RSVP Education and UMatter Coordinator
The RSVP Be Well Peer Educators represent The Fontaine Center and educate students on healthy relationships, active bystander intervention, and survivor support. These students facilitate workshops, educational activities, and campus events to empower their peers to take action in interpersonal violence prevention.
Be Well Peer Educators: Safer Sex Ambassadors
Advisor - Camilla Herndon, Sexual Health Coordinator
The Be Well Peer Educators: Safer Sex Ambassadors promote healthy sexuality through a non-judgmental, inclusive, sex-positive approach. These students have a passion for sexual health and provide peer education through educational outreach activities, workshops, and campus events.
Be Well Peer Educators: Be You
Advisor - Staci Belcher, Nutrition Counseling Coordinator
The BeYou Be Well Peer Educators invite diverse audiences to reflect on and strengthen their relationships with their bodies through open dialogue and skill building activities. Members facilitate interactive workshops on body image for classes, student groups, and the campus community.
PT Job Announcement with the UGA Engagement Center
The UGA Engagement Center is UGA’s hub for alumni engagement. This includes fundraising, stewardship, event invitations, and relationship-building of all kinds through the Engagement Center’s new and innovative multi-channel marketing platform. Students interact with alumni, parents, and friends on behalf of the University of Georgia, all while learning valuable skills.
This is a paid position that offers so much more than other student jobs.
· Flexible scheduling
· New, innovative center in downtown Athens
· Collaborate with other students
· Network with alumni in your future professional field
· Gain career-based experience and exposure to potential internship/job opportunities
· Learn more about UGA
As you can see, one major goal of the Engaging Center is to invest in the professional development of our students by providing valuable experience that isn’t available anywhere else.
I would like to personally invite you to become a part of our team. I hope that you will accept.
For more information: https://dar.uga.edu/engagement-center/
PT Job Announcement: Concrete Jungle
of ignored, fresh produce growing on our streets, yards and parks to meet health and nutrition
needs of our homeless and food insecure population. We do this by:
● Mapping fruit trees
● Educating and engaging volunteers to harvest fruit
● Gleaning from farms and orchards at the end of their season
● Engaging local shelters and hunger-relief agencies to make fresh, local produce more
In 2020, Concrete Jungle established its first satellite branch in Athens! In its first year, Concrete
Jungle Athens distributed 21,163 pounds of fresh produce to communities in need and engaged
375 volunteers for over 700 hours of service.
This position will primarily support Concrete Jungle’s PEEL (Produce Education and
Engagement Loop) programming. Concrete Jungle harvests many types of local produce that
clients are not familiar with, and CJ produce often looks different than what is available at the
store. Based on feedback from community partners, it’s necessary to build up CJ’s programming
and repository of resources as it comes to PEEL. Potential projects include expanding CJ’s
existing repository of recipe, nutrition, and produce information available for clients, engaging
community members at Neighborhood Resource Fairs and other community events to distribute
produce and provide educational resources, and providing on-site support with food logistics
and harvest events.
Candidates must meet the following qualifications:
● Comfort being out in community (this is not a remote position)
● Reliable transportation that can be used to move food and supplies
● Available to work 10 hours/week– available on some evenings and weekends (harvests
take place Tuesday evening and Saturday morning)
● Ability to lift 40 pounds without strain
Send a resume and cover letter to Jenny at firstname.lastname@example.org
PT Job Announcement with the UGA Golf Course
Greetings UGA Golf Course Customers,
Are you a student or do you know a student looking for a Summer job? The UGA Golf Course is now hiring student employees for Summer 2021!
With pay starting at $9 an hour, working at the UGA Golf Course gives students the opportunity to gain experience, make connections, play golf for free, receive discounts at the Golf Shop and have fun!
Golf Maintenance Student Assistant
This position is perfect for those who love working outdoors. Duties and general responsibilities include raking bunkers, mowing greens, blowing and more. This is a great opportunity for those looking to gain valuable landscaping skills.
Golf Range & Cart Student Assistant
In this role, student employees wash and stage golf carts, keep the cart storage area neat and clean, greet and assist customers, pick up and clean driving range balls, monitor range activities, and assist with events.
Emory: TeleBrigade Program
Emory’s chapter of Global Brigades is a major nonprofit organization focused on providing sustainable and ethical healthcare to underserved communities around the world.
This summer, Emory Global Brigades is hosting a week-long TeleBrigade to bring sustainable healthcare to medically underserved and rural areas in Honduras. Join our TeleBrigade to be part of largest student led movement for global health! Since starting Medical TeleBrigades in August 2020, over 2,000 community members have received virtual consultations through the GB Clinic in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. Not only will you gain intensive shadowing experience through this program, but you will also get the chance to learn more about international medicine through a virtual setting.
We are currently accepting applications and would love for UGA pre-health students to apply! If interested, please fill out this quick form below and check out the informational PowerPoint to learn more. We hope that you will join us this summer!
Trip Dates: July 12-18, 2021
TeleBrigade Application: https://forms.gle/AnqG4bu4ctFx2vgU7
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com or through our social media! (IG: emory.globalbrigades).
CPH Research Opportunity
Hello! My name is Dr. Janani Thapa. I am a Professor and Researcher at the Department of Health Policy and Management/College of Public Health at the University of Georgia. My team is conducting a research study on mental health among college students. We invite you to participate in this study to help us understand mental health issues facing college students and evaluate an intervention to provide mental health support.
This research study has two phases. Phase 1 is a survey that takes 10 minutes to complete. Phase 2 is an intervention to provide mental health support. The intervention lasts 4 weeks and involves sharing and engaging with information about mental health online. You may choose to participate in only Phase 1 of the study or both Phase 1 and 2.
We will randomly select 15 participants from Phase 1 to receive $100 gift cards. Participation is not required to enter the drawing. All Phase 2 participants will receive a $20 gift card for their participation. If you are interested in participating in the study, please click the link below to learn more and access the Phase 1 survey:
Your participation in this research is entirely voluntary. There are no consequences of any kind for choosing not to participate. Thank you for helping us learn about these important issues! If you have questions or would like more information about the study, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “mental health study” in the subject heading. If you would like to enter the drawing, but do not want to participate in the research, you may send an email to email@example.com with the subject heading drawing entry.
Stay In the Loop