Montera Middle School eBulletin
November 1, 2021
(scroll down for more information)
Monday, November 1 - Basketball tryouts begin, 3:45-6:00 PM. See all dates below.
Wednesday, November 3 - PTO board meeting, 6:00 PM- 7:00 PM
Thursday, November 4 - Pep Rally, 3rd and 4th periods
Saturday, November 6 - Campus work day, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Monday, November 8 - Make-up School Picture Day
Tuesday, November 9 - Montera Prospective Families Night, 6:00 PM
Wednesday, November 10 - Wellness Day, lunchtime
Friday, November 12 - Afterschool Program closed
Thursday, November 18 - Round Table Pizza fundraiser
Thursday, November 18 - Parent Engagement night, 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Friday, November 19 - Afterschool Program closed and Sports canceled
Friday, November 26 - Golden State Warriors Montera fund raiser night
Donate to Montera Now!
Help Montera reach the finish line. We need to raise $8,000 to support the Montera Mini-Grant Program. This program enables our teachers to get funding and purchase books and supplies for special projects. For example, last year our 6th-grade team purchased copies of March by John Lewis for each student, while the music department bought ukuleles for Music Exploration class. Let's do this!!!
Make your tax-deductible gift here: Donate to Montera PTO
Upcoming Montera School Events and Activities
November PTO Board Meeting - Everyone is welcome!
When: Wednesday, November 3, 6:00 PM- 7:00 PM
1. Toro Tours For Prospective Families
2. Work Day
3. Community Grant
4. Lunch Volunteers
5. Garbage Cans
6. April/May Auction Planning
7. Warriors Game
You can find the Zoom link on Schoology, Parent Square, and in the school calendar here.
Pep Rally - Parents neeeded!
Our Pep Rally is Thursday, November 4th during 3rd and 4th periods on the field. The administration is asking for adult presence. We will need 10 volunteers.
Contact PTO President Loryn Hudson if you can help: firstname.lastname@example.org
Campus Work Day!
When: Saturday, November 6, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Thank you for giving the Montera campus some much-needed TLC! We need your help for November.
The plan for November is to:
1. Paint the yellow benches in the courtyard and 8th-grade circle
2. Clean the windows in the courtyard and MUR.
3. Pick up trash.
4. Prepare Planters
5. Wash walls to get rid of dirt and cobwebs.
6. Vacuum and sweep under portable ramps.
Can’t be there for long? No problem. Join us for however long you can.
Sign up here
Loryn, Jason, Paul, Pam, Jennifer, and Stephen
Girls Soccer Coach needed!
Montera Sports is looking for a girls soccer coach. Please contact Kenya Latimore at email@example.com
OUSD details are here https://www.oakmssports.org/youth-leagues/girls-soccer/
In-person Campus Tours for Prospective Parents -- Volunteers Needed
School options season is almost upon us. Montera will host virtual information sessions and several in-person tours.
The first virtual information night will take place on
** Tuesday, November 9th, at 6:00 PM**
The following in-person tours all begin promptly at 9:30 AM:
- Wednesday, November 17
- Friday, December 10
- Wednesday, December 17
- Friday, January 7
- Friday, January 21
Sign up to lead or attend tours:
Parent Engagement Night - virtual event
When: Thursday, November 18, 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Please join us for our second parent engagement event. Our counselors will lead a discussion about social-emotional learning in middle school and answer your questions.
Zoom link will be posted on Parent Square and/or Schoology
(You can eat your Round Table pizza while attending this event!)
Looking for concert attire
The Montera Music Program is excited to hold its first in-person concert on December 2nd and 3rd.
We have several students that need concert attire. If you have a long black sleeve button-up, black pants, black shoes, and/or a black dress to donate, please contact Bridget Davies at firstname.lastname@example.org
8th Grade Philadelphia, Washington D.C., and NYC Trip
If you are interested in learning more about Montera's 8th grade trip to Philadelphia, D.C. and NYC this spring, please contact Kimberly Delaney at email@example.com
Montera Sports & After-School Activities Updates
- November 1st and 5th Girls tryouts
- November 8th, 12th, 15th, 7th and 8th grade Boys
- November 29th and December 3rd 6th Grade Boys
Students will need to come to practice in gym clothes to try out and athletic shoes.
If a student makes the team they will need to have a physical before January1st. All tryouts will be 3:45-6:00pm. Please register and upload your forms here as soon as possible. (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd8wkN7zpV8GXdENeHLlBB4DrLLbM_DlmlF-K_JFQCBpniKyg/viewform).
Hip Hop Dance Class Coming Soon!
Montera is partnering with Destiny Arts to bring Hip Hop Dance Class to our afterschool on Thursday afternoons. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
Destiny teaching artists are supported to engage and partner with classroom teachers so that they can co-create a positive classroom culture and draw connections to classroom curriculum.
Montera Relief Fund is Back to Help Toro Families in Need
Last year the pandemic prompted the Montera community to create the Montera Relief Fund to help Toro families in need. Last year we were able to raise almost $20,000 for groceries, small cash grants distributed confidentially by administrators to families, and a holiday gift drive.
Once again, we have families of students who have been hit hard by COVID and need your help. Trusted Montera staff find out what the families need and personally deliver it. The Coordination of Services Team confidentially handles requests from families.
Can you donate now to help Montera families in need?
If you are a student or family in need of support, reach out to any teacher or staff, Ms. Harambe at email@example.com, or Coach D or Mr. Latimore at firstname.lastname@example.org. All support is confidential.
Montera Safety Bargaining Team Survey
Ms. Ranahan (7th Grade Math) and Mr. Pettengill (6th Gr. Humanities) have joined the OEA Safety Bargaining Team and are seeking YOUR input into our upcoming negotiating sessions.
Fighting for safety in our schools is going to take all of us working together. Please ensure the bargaining team hears as many voices and perspectives as possible by completing this feedback form: https://tinyurl.com/SeptSafetySurvey
Thank you for your time and consideration!
Volunteering on Campus
Email email@example.com once you are cleared.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Latex free band-aids (NOT with antibiotic medication in it) in assorted sizes. EVERY teacher needs at least one box and the front office and nurse's office also need a supply.
- Tweezers for splinters (not the plastic ones)
- Ice packs for PE and front office
- Vomit bucket for front office and pick up waiting area
- Cleansing wipes
- Assorted pads
- Assorted sizes back-up underwear (S/M/L/full-figured)
Add whatever you can think of... Thank you!
Other Important Montera News and Information
Support Montera All Year Round
If your student is feeling ill
Returning to school:
- Get medically cleared (doctor's note or negative PCR test, AND symptoms have improved and student is fever-free for 24 hours - OR -
- 10 days have passed since onset of symptoms and student is no longer feeling ill
If your student tests positive for Covid-19
- Plan on staying home at least 10 days
- Notify the school of the results
- Work with the Contact Tracing Team
COVID Information from the District
- OUSD is required to report every single positive case to the ACPHD.
- A response team conducts contact tracing for each positive case and notifies families of students with prolonged close contact.
- If you are not notified, then your student was not determined to have prolonged close contact with the person who tested positive, so there is not a need to get tested unless your student develops symptoms.
- Vaccinated students do not need to quarantine as long as they are asymptomatic.
- Unvaccinated students who are asymptomatic can do a modified quarantine, continuing to attend school but testing twice a week for two weeks following exposure and not participating in any extracurricular activities.
- Exposed unvaccinated students may choose to stay home for 10 days with an excused absence. If so, they should contact their teachers for assignments during that time.
COVID Testing Information
COVID TESTING: Covid testing is available at multiple OUSD sites throughout Oakland. Find locations and times here.
TESTING PRE-REGISTRATION: Before attending an OUSD Covid testing site for the first time, you must register here. This is a one time only registration and can be done at any time. Families are encouraged to pre-register so they are ready to go should they need to get tested.
Montera Middle School
This eBulletin is produced on a weekly basis by the Montera Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) except on holidays. It sometimes contains paid advertisements. These advertisements do not imply endorsement of any product or service by OUSD or Montera Middle School.
If you have news you'd like to include, please send it to eBulletin@monterapto.com by noon on Sundays. Submissions may be edited for spelling, grammar, brevity and clarity. In addition, while we strive for accuracy, being human sometimes gets in the way. If you spot something so off the mark we should hang our heads in embarrassment, please bring it to our attention. Thanks!
Be Safe. Be Kind. Be Responsible.